need advice

Moderator: Mods

rockin562

need advice

Post by rockin562 »

My irn is about 5 weeks old and yesterday he was laying next to me asleep and i sneezed and it scared him. He started screaming. Now ever little noise makes him scream for about a min and tries to run away and hide. Im lost. I feel so bad. Is he going to be like this for his whole life?
AJPeter

Re: need advice

Post by AJPeter »

He is a living creature and if you want to look after him well read all you can on our forum and to answer your question No but he is five weeks old treat him as to his age not as something grown up
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He is not used to sudden noises, and human sneezes are loud. He will eventually de sensitize, obviously you can't tiptoe around him, but just talk quietly and make reassuring noises. Do you have the TV and radio on?, this will help. I'm bound to wonder about the environment he was in before you got him. The first time I sneezed near Sanjay he wasn't much older than your boy, he jumped but didn't scream.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Yes i have my tv on for him when im not with him but i have agoraphobia so i dont leave my house so i get to spend alot of time with him and my cockatiels. And what kinda confused me was that since i got him there has been plenty of loud noises around the house and he was fine but it has been 2 days since i have heard him scream again and i have sneezed around him too. He is doing great too. He is eating mashed potatoes and mashed bananas and millet and im down to 3 feedings a day and he isnt really crazy about the first feeding but lunch is better and night feeding he is like a little pig. I have been trying for almost 15yrs to get a indian ringneck and couldn't be more happy with him.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

That's great to hear, I'm sorry about your agoraphobia tho', I wanted a parrot for many years too, after meeting several rescued parrots. Fortunately the IRN was more affordable than the big guys. Wild birds eat massive amounts in the evening, Sanjay does too, so it must be normal birdy behaviour.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

There is just something about the indian ringneck that i love. And the plus side about the agoraphobia is that i get to spend alot more time with my daughter and my birds.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Ok so i wanted to make sure i am doing every time right by my irn. I got him at 3 weeeks old and now down to handfeeding 2 times a day at almost 7 weeks old. I wake up in the morning and after he has been moving around for a few mins i take him out and spend about a hour with him then feed him. Then he is in his cage for about a hour. Since i work at home but outside i come in about every hour and take him out and talk to him for a few mins. I give him freash seed and pellets every day and fresh veggies and fruits about 4 times a day. Then in the evening after i make dinner he is out for about 3 hrs then fed and talked to more then to bed. Sorry aboht wrighting so much. I just want to make sure im not missing anything. Thank you.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He is being very well looked after indeed. When he is a bit older he will probably need a bigger cage.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

They need 12 to 14 hours sleep at night, no lights or sounds.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Next week he is getting his permanent cage which will be 24in deep 36 wide and 36 high. Will that be big enough for him?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

As big as you can afford, Sanjay can fly around in his (Liberta Raleigh).
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Ok so i have a question. When can i introduce water for drinking and when can i offer water for a bath?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Drinking water straight away, don't spend out on a giant splash bird bath, Sanjay won't use his, buy a misting bottle, and put tepid water, and a few drops of organic rosewater, and a few drops of glycerin in in,this conditions the skin and prevents scaly foot. Sanjay loves a good misting, and presents his pits and undercarriage for inclusion.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Thank u very much u have been extremely helpful.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I gave Rocky a large bath bowl and he insists on bathing in the water cup instead. Worse, he seems to have convinced my Lineolateds to do a similar thing. If you give a big bath, let it be something you already have on hand! :lol:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I bought my hen, Billie a stainless steel dog water bowl it is so large she holds onto the rim and splashes she is afraid of the deep water.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

A dog bowl is a great idea. Thank u. And a bath is ok for him now at 7 weeks?
MissK

Post by MissK »

A flat rock or somesuch might help them with the depth. Even if the water is shallow, the sides can be high. That's what I set up for Rock, and a small T perch, but he would never use it unless I also took away his little water cup. Makes me want to stand in front of him eating nuts and offering him to share everything EXCEPT nuts! :evil:
-MissK
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

i thought i would share a few pics of whiskey.
3 weeks old when i got him. Image
and now at 7 weeks Image
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That's a bit nutty MissK, but 562 7 weeks is too young but l have no idea how old he needs to be for a dip, my hen came ready made.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I agree, Sanjay was 8 weeks, and very tiny, I wouldn't have offered a bowl,with or without a rock.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Well whiskey took his first flight around my room today. Took him out to eat and he would eat but instead just wanted to fly lol.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Cover the flight path with newspaper "splat mats"!, it does them the world of good to have a good soar, getting him back in might be problematic, I had to towel Sanjay at first, but once he got his big "palace" he went back in unaided, willingly, nowadays, its as soon as his fresh rations go in!.
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

Good idea about the newspaper but getting him back isnt a problem. He actually flies to me when i call him and the few times he hasn't i just go to him and tell him to step up with no problems.