Opening mouth and poking tounge.

Moderator: Mods

Kikithekiwi

Opening mouth and poking tounge.

Post by Kikithekiwi »

Today when i came home i went to kiki. Kiki was fluffed up and seem happy so i picked him up.
The vacum was on (someone cleaning) so i couldnt really hear any noises kiki made.
I said hi and opened his mouth and kinda stretched his tongue out, with his neck kinda stretched. I repeated hi a few times and almost every time he did the same thing. He has never done it before.
It seemed kinda timed but happened each time i said hi. When i could finally hear him and he did it once more but i heard nothing.
Is this behaviour?
Was he trying to regurgitate?
Should i be concerned?
And i was also wondering why they lick the back of their becks (wel thats what it looks like) and make a very quite scratching noise.
What is this meaning or doing?
sanjays mummi

Re: Opening mouth and poking tounge.

Post by sanjays mummi »

I don't know what it means, but Sanjay often does this and pins his eyes at the same time, I often wonder if he is trying to say a new word.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Generally, my fids sandpaper (which is what we call the licking of the beak) when they are content and mostly when they are settling in for a sleep. I've heard this is a good sound.
~Dana

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

This could be one explanation?

http://youtu.be/Te4wx4jtiEA

Especially what the cat does at 26 seconds lol
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Redzone wrote:This could be one explanation?

http://youtu.be/Te4wx4jtiEA

Especially what the cat does at 26 seconds lol
Yep, that is one possible explantion, my bird and my one of my friends birds both do it when they see someone getting the treats out or setting up foraging toys. I believe the other reason can be like a cough reflex, which they display differently from how we do... if it is very persistent and bird has plenty of food ask your vet.