advice for my baby ringneck please

Moderator: Mods

krennie28

advice for my baby ringneck please

Post by krennie28 »

Hi everyone :D I am the new mummy of an Indian ringneck named Olly. I picked Olly up from a breeder who said he was fully eating on his own etc. I only picked him up 2 days ago. Before then he was looked after by his feathered parents. After 24 hours, I got concerned he wasn't eating by himself so I have got him some handrearing formula and hand feed him fruits and vegetables twice a day. Olly doesn't do much at all at the moment, he sits at the bottom of the cage and doesn't make any noise at all. The breeder said he is 2 weeks out of the nest so I am hoping this is normal behaviour?
InTheAir

Re: advice for my baby ringneck please

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
How old isyour bird? Was he handraised or parent raised? Have you contacted the breeder you got him from.

My birds were reasonably quiet for the first day or 2 after I got them, but were both very active and never sat on cage floor.
krennie28

Post by krennie28 »

I believe he is about 9 weeks old. He will perch if I sit him on his perch, other than that he won't do much at all. He was Avery raised by his bird parents. He will only eat if hand fed.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm far from an expert on but it doesn't sound great.. Does he fly?. My aviary raised irn was about 12 weeks when I got her and ate well, chewed toys and bounced around non stop.
Did the breeder tame him? My girl wouldn't let people anywhere near her when we got her!
There is a good sticky post about hand feeding in the breeding section of forum. I think it is worth talking to an experienced breeder or avian vet about that behaviour. This forum is pretty quiet at the moment so not usually the best place to get emergency advice.
krennie28

Post by krennie28 »

We have had great progress in the last couple of hours. Olly is now loving his pellets that are in his cage and is getting around great, We went to the vet today and Olly has a vitamin d deficiency, the vet gave us some drops and hopefully all will be fantastic with Olly soon. The vet seems to think he is adapting to the big change and they don't seem too worried.