Inherited at least 10 years old

Moderator: Mods

narniebird

Inherited at least 10 years old

Post by narniebird »

hello we inherited a beautiful yellow IRN female. she had lived with her mate in an avery for around 10 years and now lives in a cage with us on here own. at first she was really noisy and scared, now she is really quiet, loves it when we hang with her but has started doing these weird expressions. one is like she is vomiting, and that is when I talk to her which freaks me a little - I am getting a complex thinking that she doesn't like me!? the new one is she stretches her head up and back and her eyes glaze over, sort of anyway. does this mean anything? I am hoping she is still not threaten by me. I can now get her to take apple from my hand but haven't tried to handle her because the one time I did, she bit me and it did scare both of us. from my reading we are doing the taming slow and steady which seem right. also does anyone know if you can actually tame and teach to speak an older bird? thanks jenny
MissK

Re: Inherited at least 10 years old

Post by MissK »

Hi Jenny,

Quick because it's the middle of the night for me - the head gesture sounds just like a mating position to me, and your vomit may be regurgitation - another mating behaviour. Regurgitation is an intentional act preceded by signs you can recognize. Vomiting is an involuntary act, messier and more volatile. Vomiting is a vet ASAP situation. Regurgitation is more of a social issue. I'm hesitant to say the older bird will pick up speech. Few things are impossible, but it seems less likely. Taming can happen, and if she is so keen on you thus far, no reason to think she can't get to the point you want, so long as your expectation is realistic. Remember that the bird you get (any bird, any time) is the bird you get and anything more is a bonus.

Congratulations on your older, second hand bird. I have two of them.
-MissK
narniebird

Post by narniebird »

thanks for that information - the vomit is only a gesture so it sounds like she likes me :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Likes you a bit too much, it seems. Use this bond to try to encourage speech, as I think it's your best shot, but don't encourage the view that you are a prospective mate. Check out this thread: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... bout+janey
-MissK
narniebird

Post by narniebird »

LOL - just mates :D thanks - will check out that website - it was funny how I thought she hated me know we are mates