what is this behaviour

Moderator: Mods

aliyaamelia

what is this behaviour

Post by aliyaamelia »

Ok so. I now had my lovly little Cookie for about 3 weeks. shes now almost 4 months, Real sweetie. Calls me in the morning to come and open the cage, comes out , dont mind stepping up started taking treats from my hand two days ago been doing really good. And then today she started launching at me. Like she want to bite me. She dont actually bite, but act like she wants to?.
Ive been giving her some space today, not to be in her face.
She still takes her treats.
And she did step up to go back to her cage, but she did open her beak at me like shes biting before she did.
I try not to pay attention to this but obviously dont want it to get worse. Preferably to go away.
Why is my baby acting like this and what is the best way to deal with it.
any advice is greatly appreciated
InTheAir

Re: what is this behaviour

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Ali,

http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/arti ... 202004.pdf
The most useful advice I can give is that you should read the linked article from the behavior works website, if you haven't already. It is one of the most useful pieces I have read in relation to handling birds.

If my birds are busy and I need them to step up. I get their attention then hand them a treat and then ask them to step up, they usually do want to step up to see if I have any more treats. They get another treat when they step up.
I only have two birds, so I don't know if it will work on every bird.