New indian ringneck and treats

Moderator: Mods

Lovesmybirds

New indian ringneck and treats

Post by Lovesmybirds »

I recently got an indian ringneck about a month ago, he is currently 4 months old and his name is Ringo. He is by all means (so far lol) am extremely cuddly friendly bird who happily steps up onto my hand when I put it in his cage. I spent a lot of time with him even before he came home from the breeder so he is comfortable with me. I want to start clicker training him (like I did with my cockatiel) but he is terrified when I offer him any type of food from my hand. Because I can't figure out a way to give him treats (either from my hand or offering him a dish with treats in it) I am kinda stuck about how to do clicker training. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It doesn't seem to be a problem/fear of my hand cause he easily steps up but it's more a fear of the seed/pellets/fruits that I try to offer.
InTheAir

Re: New indian ringneck and treats

Post by InTheAir »

You could try holding your hand flat with lots of treats in your palm near a perch, so he can wander over in this own time. Make sure your arm is on a comfy angle and rest it on the perch.
Also, just dropping treats into his dish every time you walk past it will help build a positive association, just do it carefully so you don't startle him.

Does he walk over to you to step up or do you approach him and push on his chest?

other things to assess:
are you moving your hand too suddenly for him or too quickly?
maybe the angle that your hand comes towards him on is worrying him?
Does he like what you are offering?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Just in case - Does he recognize and like the treats you offer? Can you get a different result offering things on a spoon or the back of your hand?
-MissK
Lovesmybirds

Post by Lovesmybirds »

It's so strange cause I offer my hand out flat and he gladly runs over to jump on it. I offer it with food, he freaks out and flys away even if I proceed slowly. I am gonna try just dropping treats off a safe distance from him and see if he will try and eat them on his own if they are just sitting there and not on my hands.

I always offer my hand and he steps up. I never push his tummy to have him step up. If he doesn't I just walk away and try again later.

Sadly if I try to offer treats with a spoon he still freaks out an flies away. I have tried this with treats and offering him his favorite regular pellets and he is still scared. It's really bizzare.

Thanks for all your advice though, I really appreciate it as I am kinda confused at what to do.
jenica1026

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi,

Can't you be the treat? If he gladly walks over and steps up on you and I am sure you are praising him - can't you be the treat - whatever he does, can't it be verbal praises (instead of food) - does he like and get head scratches from you? How about that as a treat? Just a thought. Jan