how to make friends?

Moderator: Mods

williesgirl

how to make friends?

Post by williesgirl »

Tonka is about 4 or 5 mnths old. I have got him to the point where he comes up to the front of his cage when i talk to him but he stays as far away from my hand as possible if i put it in the cage. i can sit next to his cage for up to an hour with his evening fruit n veg on my hand in his cage and he wont come near it. I've done this for nearly 2 mnths with no improvement :cry:
We want to get him clipped and allow him some freedom but how? He doesn't want to know about me.
He lets me put my hand up near him as long as its on the outside so he isn't scared. he doesn't panic just moves to the furtherest point when there is no bars to keep him safe :roll:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

See if your bird will get onto a step-up perch and interact that way.

I had to do that with mine for a few weeks. Whatever it takes to get them NEAR you and OUT of the cage.

Offer and small perch to step up on, them pull him right out. Boom.
~ Mikaela Sky

williesgirl

Post by williesgirl »

Thanks.
We tried that and he didn't want to know about scary perchs either. We left the door open and every 20 mins or so we would try again. Eventually 3 hrs later we got him on and as i bought him out of the cage he took off and flew into walls and the fish tank etc.
He then perched on the cieling fan and wouldn't have anything to do with us. Finally 1 1/2 hrs later he flew down the hall into the wall, picked himself up and flew into his cage at top speed and crash landed on his rope toy.
Do we continue like this?
Can't get his wings clipped just yet. It is a 1 1/2 hr drive to the nearest place and they recommend only doing 1 wing :evil:
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

My IRN was the same, he would take a treat from my hand but from outside cage, well he now accepts from inside the cage. I opened his door and one day he just climbed out (No clipped wings) and climbed up cage and was very happy to just climb all around his cage but if something scared him he would take off. We have had his wings clipped now and at the moment he still trys to fly has not yet learnt that he cant.
My IRN is still very scared he is eleven months old now and we have had him for 3 months. I have been told by everybody that it takes a long long time to tame & train them.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

The first time out of the cage will undoubtedly confuse your bird and he will fly into walls, but after time he will learn what is good to sit on and how to fly around comfortably.

Might I suggest taking your bird OUT of it's comfort zone to a small room where you can pick him up quickly if he flies away. Then have him sit on you. After a while you will be the comfortable place. If you are near a familiar place he would prefer those places as he KNOWS they ARE safe, he does not know YOU are safe.

I use like the bathroom or such. I dont have to chase the bird all day and I can retrieve them fast. If you never confront your birds fear of you, you can never make progress.
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

I have been told to take my IRN to a different room to train, but he wont step up yet and will not let me too close to him and if i take the whole cage he will not come out of it...... stubborn, what do you do in this case??? oh and cannot catch him he goes absolutley mental with or without gloves.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

*cough* I'd catch him :P Use gloves or a towel.

ALSO You could train him at night with the lights off. They cant see to fly away. Try getting him to step up from the cage with the lights off. Then you could at least move him into the small room with the lights on.

By mental do you mean flapping around or biting? Biting can be used to your advantage. If it bites (a preferably protected hand) pull him up onto your hand. Flapping may be lessened with the lights off
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

Ummm, i know now that i need to take stubborn approach with him, only had his wings clipped beginning of week so i thought i would just gently ease in there....umm no.... he calls the shots, when he has had enough of me being constantly in his face he retreats to the very back and top of his cage where i cannot reach... clever... Once they have stepped up for the first time do they kind of catch on quick or would he have forgotten by tomorrow??
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It does take them a little while to get started but at the most 3 or 4 days and they get the hang of it. Repetition is the key, not too many but not too little.
People (and animals) feel comfortable doing the things they have done so many times before.

My suns see my finger coming across the room and they stick their little feet up expectantly. it's cute but silly. Birds like knowing what to expect from their human, they are comfortable with routine.. unfortunatly this is something I lack. I dont really do anything regularly. I cant even watch TV regularly I keep missing shows I want to watch. I sleep all hours and do stuff whenever I get around to it. *cough* enough about me.

The birds have to adjust to my lack of routine.. but if you HAVE a routine it would be better for them
williesgirl

Post by williesgirl »

Thanks. We sat his cage on the table at tea time, opened it and his tea just outside the door. Ignored us till we were cleaning up, then took off. The temp has risen to 40 c or about80 dgrees f. We can't catch him and are all half naked. The sun won't go down for another 1 1/2 hrs. :oops:
Bring on the dark so we can open some doors.
:P
Have we qualified as the worlds worst bird owners yet?
williesgirl

Post by williesgirl »

ok. We used a towell and waited till it was dark. Heck he is a savage bugger when caught. My husband got him and his hands are all chomped. The vet is going to clip him and do his toenails tuesday night after work so we can get it done. Yay for the new vet in town. A stroke of luck :lol:
She might leave town after tonka steam rolls her. Pit bulls aren't that vicious. :twisted:
We have a really good routine, super organised, so just have to work out how he fits in with that.
Also my temp readings and conversions are all wrong but it was bloody hot :oops:
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

it's all a learning curve. You arent bad owners if your heart is in the right place.
AJPeter

Re: how to make friends?

Post by AJPeter »

2 months is not long enough to get the response you are hoping for, but you are making progress. I have an Alexandrine Hen who bites really hard she wont step up on my hand but will step up on a perch. She was a rescued bird with at least three owners before me and is about 7 years old, and I had her for 5 years. I am totally against clipping wings, my bird can fly but she does not try to escape, she was sitting on my shoulder when I thoughtlessly opened a window she just sat there singing to remind me and l had to close the window in a hurry.
I do not train her more she trains me! She does not talk which suits me l do not want a bird that cane do tricks or talk what good will that be to her if she were to escape? She is open all day and sleeps 14 hours a day. Uninterrupted sleep is most important make sure the cover shuts out the day light and there is no sound. I get banished to the bedroom at her bed time if l try and watch TV with head phones she moans like the dickens.