Very Quiet Baby-Normal???

Moderator: Mods

EllieBaby

Very Quiet Baby-Normal???

Post by EllieBaby »

Hi everyone!

I just got a new green IRN baby on Friday, and am completely new to ringnecks :) She is very quiet, only making noise in the mornings. Is this normal? She is three months old according to the breeder. (I'm calling her a she because that was the guess based on her pelvic bone, but will do DNA testing later). I'm not sure if I should be worried about her being so quiet or not :?:

She was completely untamed when I got her, but with just two days of working with her (no towel, something we have done with cockatiels and my dad did with a macaw and cockatoo-works amazing!) she will let me hold her, step up, and LOVES scritches!

Thanks for any advice :D
Brittany
evaleen

Re: Very Quiet Baby-Normal???

Post by evaleen »

my budgie was the same way. it started chirping properly at the age of 5.(aftr two months with me)
i dont know if its the same with your irn, but mayb its just shy. :)

p.s, what method did you use?! you'v got me all winded-up-and-curious! :?: :idea:
p.p.s,welcome! :mrgreen:
Eva
EllieBaby

Post by EllieBaby »

OK thanks!! :) All I did was get her out and hold her to my chest like I would if cuddling her, and she would try and turn around and bite me but when she did I would ignore it and push into the bite (something I have also read is done for bluffing). After a while, she realized that she wasnt getting anywhere with what she was doing and calmed down! I really was expecting to have to work with her longer. It helped that the breeder clipped her wings right before I got her, so she couldnt take off too far.
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

I noticed that my seven month old ringneck was awfully quiet for the first few weeks that I've had her, but she has started to open up and chatter in the mornings. She has even started to mimic a few sounds.
I think it's just because they are young and they are still learning things.
EllieBaby

Post by EllieBaby »

I'm glad mine isnt the only quiet one!!! I hope she starts learning things :) I've been talking to her alot and things, so maybe she will start picking it up :)
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

When I brought my baby home at 3 months also, he was almost totally silent for 2 weeks! Now I can't get him to stay quiet for long, he loves to chatter. It will probably be outgrown.. and your ringneck will learn the joys of noise making :D haha
shahar101

Post by shahar101 »

I just bought a tame, 11 week old IRN about 4 days ago and I haven't heard a single noise from him. Is it just because they're nervous in their new environment? and will they eventually start chirping? I'm new to these birds too, but I love them nonetheless :)
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

Iv got 2 14-16ish week old babies and neither of them make much noise either.

Peppermint will make the occasional screech and the funniest growling noise I have ever heard
Sprite is more of a sweet talker and when the house is quiet will come out with really cute sweet noises
Alicia,
Mum to Peppermint & Sprite
Erik.R.25

Post by Erik.R.25 »

I had my 4 months old baby irn named minty for 9 days and I haven't heard anything from her, but she might be just shy. To be honest she only made a progress today when she learned to step up i was surprised bi how gentle she was today compare to how rough she used to be when I got her I can't wait till she starts talking lol

will it help if I play sounds of other ringnecks talking ? She loves to watch videos on my phone
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It takes time for birds to settle down after a move, when they feel more secure they will announce their presence aon you won't be able to stop them. Read all you can on our forums.