I need HELP!!

Moderator: Mods

xXCharlieXx

I need HELP!!

Post by xXCharlieXx »

Hi, i just got an Indian Ringneck two weeks ago. I need help on training him. The first problem is that he's not trained and is scared of everyone. i cant even get close to him without him jumping away. he's not brave. how do i get him to get used too me. if u need any more info or any pics, i will be happy to provide. he is one year old and his name is charlie. to me its seems like he will never like me or anyone. thats what im worried about. please help thanks :)
phildez

Re: I need HELP!!

Post by phildez »

Hi Charlie

Well im no expert but if you haven't already read or been told this then the following would be the most common reply:-

-dont expect too much too soon, all good things........
-make sure you have the right set-up cage, toys, environment etc for Charlie
-you need to give charlie time to settle into his/her new surroundings
-approach charlie slowly at a time, and just sit as near to the cage as poss before charlie seems agitated by your proximity
-speak softly and confidently whilst next to charlie, ramble on about anything really its just so he accustoms to your voice and presence. This should help him realise you are not a threat
-pay attention to colours of your clothing & items around the cage/room as certain colours/objects may freak your bird out (mine hates red/orange/purple things and 'snake' like objects)
-slowly place your hand near to his cage and leave for a few minutes making sure he see's what you're doing (in time you'd be able to progress with your hand inside the cage - inching nearer day by day, sort'of)

FYI - i have had my IRN for 2months now. He is 6months old, male (DNA tested) and was parent reared from an aviary so has had no tame line in his blood nor human contact and was scared stiff when I first got him. 5days later I had him stepping up! 2 months later and I can kiss him, hold, pet him whatever really. I was clueless at first and only know a little bit more now but what I did from day 1 was got him accustomed to me, my presence, voice and food......food being the key.

Through a process of trial and error I established his favourite food (at the time) were corn on the cob & pomegranates so I used this to bribe him big time! I started by placing my hand near his cage then inside his cage for 5mins/time. He was of course scared sh*tless at first but lo and behold he came to accept my hand. Then I put my hand in the cage with some pomegranate kernels placed where he'd have to walk onto my hand to get to them, which he eventually did. I kept doing that over and over each time saying 'step up' so he'd link the command with food. Eventually I was able to command him to step up without the food in sight. However, I would have the food in my other hand to immediately reward him.

Its not all peachy just yet but progress is being made, its just taken alot of patience, head scratching and research to get to this point. I have just bought a good book by Rosemary Low which is helping me out - maybe a book could help you too? Its helpful to first understand your bird and what your bird thinks is going on right now - where he is, is he safe etc as you need to understand Charlie well if you are to have a strong/successful relationship!

Like I said Im no expert, Im only a step ahead of you so happy to divulge what I know - shout me if you need any further info otherwise good luck to you both!

Phil
xXCharlieXx

Post by xXCharlieXx »

@phildez

Thank You SO much. I am going to get started on the training you told me tomorrow. Now, I have had him for around three weeks. He is getting used to me, but still scared of my hand, I am going to do what you did. I would like to know the name of your book; I might buy it. Thank You so Much for your reply :D
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Wow. Sounds great! If I laid my hand inside my birds cage, I would be bloody. I have to let mine come put of the cage to handle him, but I work full time, and more so my time with him is limited to 1-2 hours a day if I'm lucky, then Saturday's are "our day" together. We both love Saturday's!! My birdie was very scared too at first, give it time, now he knows he owns the house and we are just there for his delight.