aggressive IRN

Moderator: Mods

craigvik

aggressive IRN

Post by craigvik »

Well, I have had some great advice from people on here regarding my bird Indy. It has been a few months now and I have tried all your suggestions but this bird is still mean. The Bluffing period should have been and gone but she still bites and launches at me whenever I am anywhere near her cage. Eyes pining, feathers up!! She is very terrortorial of her cage...I even swapped her to a smaller one but it didn't help. She will come out at her own accord but wont let you touch her. She will step up only if she feels like it. Food rewards dont help...she snatches it then goes back to pining at me, with a little growl. We also have a cockatiel, I have raised her the same way and have no issues with her... except that Indy wants to get on her cage and bite the tiel through the bars, whenever she can. Could it be that my Indy will always be nasty no matter what...I am very disappointed!!
ellieelectrons

Re: aggressive IRN

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Craig

I'm sorry to hear you haven't experienced success yet. All birds have their own personalities... but I do believe that patience, consistency and love can cause changes in behaviour. If you're not sure what to do next, all I can think of is a bird behaviour expert... I don't imagine they come cheap. I know of one in the Brisbane (Queensland, Australia) area. Where are you located?

The next best thing (in my opinion) is the Barbara Heidenreich DVD - Parrot Behavior
and Training #1 (see http://www.goodbirdinc.com/parrot-store-dvds.html). At the end of the DVD is a testimonial from a guy who had a bird that would lunge and bite... the owner had given up hope, he thought that he was always going to have a bird that was mean. He spent some time with Barbara and he was able to help change his bird's behaviour.

I'm sorry but all of these options cost $$$... but it's all that I can think of.

I own 3 of her DVDs and one of her books but I think that the first training video is the best one. I also saw her in-person when she came to Australia last year... and that was a great experience too.

Good luck... I do believe that you can work with your bird to help her be more comfortable with you and your household although it may take a lot of work and time.... and I know, sometimes, it doesn't seem fair when other people seem to have an easier time of it... but it's just like having children, some are easier to work with than others... but regardless, it is always possible to make some progress... and all personalities have their advantages and disadvantages.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
craigvik

Post by craigvik »

Thanks so much for your encouragement Ellie, I really appreciate it.

I am trying not to give up hope but it almost seems impossible, actually it seems like it is getting worse.

I shall look up those dvds and website you have listed. This may have to be the next step. I am in NSW.

Thanks again for your help! :)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

There are alot of posts from people on the forums in the past about this, just use the search above and search out keywords, biting etc. and have a good read. I have never dealt with a female, so can only comment on males. My boys are worse during breeding season and are very protective of their cage. I have them come all the way to the door of the cage before I step them up. Some use a stick and take them to a neutral place or a stand to play with them.

I don't know if she was tame and became bitey or if she was a new fid that you have not been able to interact with. All I can say is that, time and patience and love will see her come around. Read up about environment manipulation, it worked a treat with my ekkie. I was told what to do from a young friend who practices this technique alot. instead of discipline, you alter the environment to stop the behaviour. I also did a few bonding sessions with dexter my ekkie, I took him to the bathroom, had it dimmed and quiet music on and just sat quietly talking to him, I let him get away if he wanted and just kept bringing him back onto my hand and kept talking quietly with him, telling him about everything. The next session I actually got into the shower with him on my shoulder and we both enjoyed the warm water and chat. All these session built up a trust, we bonded extremely well.

Keep trying with her, I am sure eventually you will find a technique that works with her, and remember sometimes with IRN's it takes months !! to gain the trust. My Kai took a good 6 months to make good progress.

Good Luck
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Have you thought of trying 'clicker' training?

There are a few videos on youtube to help start you off. I used this method for tricks on a couple of my birds with good results.

I hope Indy has improved for you.
bec

Post by bec »

you said indys a girl
females are very territorial of their cages
try letting her come out of her cage f by herself then getting her to step up
then if you can take her to a smaller room where she cant see her cage for her taming work ( bathrooms work well)
and use a food thats not always available in her usual diet as her "working" treat
(popcorn is always a good on for this)
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Craig

I have a 6 year old female IRN with aggression issues too. She was hand reared and tamed till the reached the Terrible Two's mark and fingers and ears started to bleed. Since then she's in her cage with a male she accepted as her mate so her aggression has died down a bit.

The only issue is protection of the food bowl. The only way to get it is by a favorite treat or by using a long metal rod that temporarily gets inserted into the cage to separate her from the bowl (I have to make it clear she is not chased by the rod, it is simply inserted while she's eating her treat in the part of the cage opposite to her food bowl and since it's a strange object she respects it).

I have given up on removing her from her cage again to try and tame her but at least she has company from her mate and another who's female recently died.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey craigvik,

This post is old, but are you reacting to her behavior? What do you do when she pins at you? I have two very lovable female ringnecks and i would not trade them for the world. They are really tame and never bite me. I only got a few nips form Devri (female ringneck) during her bluffing stage--noting too serious. My other female won't even hurt a fly :wink: Hope to hear back from you.

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
craigvik

Post by craigvik »

Thanks for the replies on here,

Just thought I should give you an update on Indy. She is doing a lot better but still quite aggressive. She likes to dart at me whenever I am at the cage but, she does step up and come out now as opposed to coming out by her self. She knows the command no biting but I can't have her on my shoulder at all as if she is higher than me, she will bite!

She can now whistle the National anthem and jingle bells...aswell as a variety of different whistles, such as the whistle from the aussie TV show Skippy! Just in the last couple of days she has started saying Hello!! I am so proud!!

I have also just adopted a male IRN, from a parrot rescue site and am wondering if putting them together is a good idea or not. I don't wish to breed from them, would just like them to be friends.

Would love to hear from you,

Cheers!!