My first IRN, help with understanding

Moderator: Mods

ricardo

My first IRN, help with understanding

Post by ricardo »

I always have been facinated with IRN and finally decided to get one. I got a 7month old female from a couple who didnt have time for her anymore.

When I went to their hourse to veiw the bird, she was all happy and chirpy, loved been handled and scratched -made cute noises. Was extremely tame. The couple hand raised her alone. I was really happy with her nature as I have never owned a bird before -I needed an easy start.

When I brought her to my home she started to change. She is very shy of me. doesnt step up unless I use food. If I try scratch her she puffs up and tries to bite me. She will sit on my shoulder but doesnt want me to touch her or fondle at all. she runs away from me when i approuch her at cage. She hardly ever makes noises.

She tends to puff her head up alot and her pupils change size (BIG AND TINY). I dont really understand her body language so would appreciate advive on handling and getting her to bond with me and eventually be as content as she was at her previous home.

She has the same cage (hardly ever gets closed in), same food. The climate is alot different (colder and busy). I try handle her alot -just ned the right approach.
CalamariBaby

Re: My first IRN, help with understanding

Post by CalamariBaby »

Don't rush her. Not only did her home change her family has changed. I would do the usual. Don't bug her but leave her cage open, talk softly and kindly to her a lot and eat around her offering her treats. She will come around.
Allie