Re: Alex - PICCIES :D

Moderator: Mods

Hcloost

Re: Alex - PICCIES :D

Post by Hcloost »

going on from my previous post, the vet said my baby girl is fine, and as promised here is a photo of her:

more to come later when photobucket is working better for me
Fah

Post by Fah »

Aw Gorgeous, lovely pic of a lovely bird :D

Should be quite proud ^_^

EDIT: I use facebook to host my images now, and when people outside the FB community need to see any pics, or I want to show them, I use the properties of the pic to find the location, and then do the same forum linkage thingimabob here.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

aww how sweet!! I love her expression!! You don't suppose Alexandrines are too loud for apartments do you?? :D
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, add a few decibels to your IRN noise, and you have an Alexandrine hehe
Hcloost

Post by Hcloost »

thanks :) she is very sweet, and in particular has taken a strong bond to my boyfriend. When i bought her i was told that she was raised by her breeder ( a male) which is why she loves Adam him more than me :)

we live in a semi-detached house and although she's still a baby Alex can get loud if she wants to. we have tried to soundproof the hallway so that we can get some sleep in the mornings :) her little IRN friend is quiet until we let him out - we're hoping she will follow his example :D

more pics soon
Hcloost

Post by Hcloost »

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Very nice!

Really love that first photo of her. Well taken. :)
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

very cool birdie
beautiful splashes of the red
Hcloost

Post by Hcloost »

Thanks, she has a nice personality too - very sweet at times and funny to watch after having fruit :)

in the second lot of pics i posted can everyone see the second photo? see how much of her wing was clipped? its like chopping a persons' hand off at the wrist :( you can see by our older bird next to her how much we usually trim off - just enough so that they can't fly, but can still land safely if needed.

poor little Alex has had a couple falls because of the butcher job the previous owners did. i don't know if it was the pet shop we got her from, but i suspect it was the breeders that did it because the shop doesn't usually have parrots.

i can't wait for her wings to grow back in a bit. does anyone know roughly how fast young birds grow? I'm hoping that the wing feathers will be long enough with a few months growth.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, they wont moult that back until its first moult.. which like Indians, can happy from 1yr, 1.5yrs ish, and they go through a heavy moult (males more so than females) at approx 2yrs of age.

Asiatics dont moult all year around like Cockatiels etc, so you will basicly have to wait.

They did do a rather shocking job with the wing, was no need to go that far and I would actually be suprised if thats the work of the breeder and not the shop.

Pet shops are rather hopeless when it comes to cliping, they dont pay for a vet to do it, and 9 times out of 10 they have only a basic understanding of it. It could very well be their work as you said they dont normally deal with birds maybe.

Either way you have a lovely bird and im sure when it does moult those feathers back she will take to flight reasonably well, but please remember, asiatics are extremely good flyers, and Alexandrines can get some crazy speed and weight behind them, so a fully flighted bird indoors is not always a good thing for the long term. There are variations of clips you can get done to remain flight, but make it harder and less worth their effort.
julie

Post by julie »

shes a cutie. I will have to try to get some good pics of mika with his new ring, mostly the pics that I get are of his tongue trying to taste the camera. He has his little buddy spike back as spikes owner wasn't allowed to have pets at her place. They do get pretty loud and destructive, we have to have metal feed bowls ect cause Mika just destroys everything.
Fah

Post by Fah »

hehe yah Julie is right, they have a big beak and they know how to use it.

I love how birds seem to react to cameras, a good half of my birds stand still and look pretty as if they know whats going on, the other half try to eat it like a new clicking buzzing toy.