Alexandrines and the Colour mutations!

Moderator: Mods

Fah

Alexandrines and the Colour mutations!

Post by Fah »

Hola!

Just curious if anyone here in Australia is or has or sells or god knows what any colour mutations of the Alexandrines.

I only seem to hear about or see green Alex's. I know their is a heavily reduced mutation spread compared to IRN's for example. Though I know they are about there somewhere.
Clare

Post by Clare »

I came across lutino alexandrines on petlink and they just so happened to be where I live, in Mackay! But i was too late and they sold quick for this season. I haven't come across any blue in Aus, but I would love a blue alexandrine.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Here are some of the mutations known. I'm gathering that a mutation of an Alexandrine is rare since you almost never hear or see any of them?

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/Mutations/P-eupatria.htm
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah. I know a minority of sources where you can get split blues etc but they are all part IRN mutations that were "spliced" generations ago.

Considering their size difference it is supprising the two species get it on like that :P
Clare

Post by Clare »

I have just come across a lady in the Whitsundays (nth QLD) who had Alex mutations on petlink. She has grey-green, green-blue, cinnamon, lutino, blue. I know she also sells ringnecks but I don't know whether her alexandrines are bred with them.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I would love to get a breeding pair of Blues set up. Heck even a blue with a split blue would be incredible.

I love their size and beaks. Just not a fan of the green. Its a gorgeous colour... but everyone has prefrences :P
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Because IRN and alex are in the same family they breed quite well.
a local petstore has a male alex/irn and you would never know it was part irn.

talking to my local expert, he said they only way to get colour mutations is to breed the 2, alex and lutino irn, not sure what way it has to be, but he is trying to start a breeding line fo lutino Alex, he's on to his 3rd generation (i think), he said it takes 5 generations to establish it as a breed.

damn thats a long time.
Adam and Dude
Fah

Post by Fah »

I am very tempted to look into the genetic constraints behind the blending of the two (alex and irn).

Check out this site http://www.irnmutations.com/

I might have to get into this myself.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

They are beautiful arent they Ijust love the lutinos and the powder blue babies in the photo gallery