The Alexandrine Beak Strength

Moderator: Mods

MissK

The Alexandrine Beak Strength

Post by MissK »

Hi all,

As I consider bringing home an Alexandrine I am struck with a thought that fills me with dread...........

Is he going to eat my cage?

Seriously. My cage http://www.birdscomfort.com/doubleflight_bird_cage.html has a bar thickness of 1/13 inch ( I think that's just under 2 millimeters). I plan to put in a lot of wood, possibly including a hunk of tree, maybe 3-4 inch diameter. I hope he won't want to eat the cage, but if he did, could he? I'm really tied to this cage.

What's the most unexpected or outlandish thing your Alexandrine has destroyed?
Last edited by MissK on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Johan S

Re: The Alexandrine Beak Strength

Post by Johan S »

I think the cage's wire thickness should be OK, if flaunting with the minimum I'd use personally. I don't breed them myself, but for that size bird our best success has been with 2mm diameter or thicker wire mesh.

Most outlandish thing I've seen an Alexandrine (not a tame one!) give a go was Molossus's hand. I couldn't believe his reflexes... :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hahaha!

Thanks!
-MissK
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I couldn't believe his reflexes... :lol:
:lol:
Molossus, any scars pics you'd like to share? :lol:
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey MissK...don't know how I missed this lol.

Inside Cyrano has 5mm thickness. But he doesn't have a 6' X 4' flight so he gets macaw sized toys and thicker bars so he's not bored when I have to cage him.

Outside I'm learning that Alex's and Derbyans can make short work of the thinner wire. So the outdoor flights are 3mm galvanized wire.

That cage you have should be fine for your new guy if you bring him home. Just fill it with so many things for him to chew he doesn't even think about chewing the bars. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks people.

I plan to evaluate the bird on Monday, unless I chicken out. My gut is very good at telling me when I definitely should or should not do something, but it always waits till the last minute.

I decided to not take my bird along because there's something else I want to do on the trip. I'm thinking the Alexandrine is going to be territorial anyway (as he is known to be) but am hoping the complete change of situation will disrupt that. My style of pet keeping doesn't foster possessiveness anyway.

Anybody else has words of wisdom, please pass them on now!

Pleeeeease?
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't know anything about cages and Alexandrines. However, my limited experience with them has been that although they have way bigger beaks than IRNs, they do seem to be quite gentle with people. However, they can be harsh on your house eg. chew up cornices, skirting boards, etc. My experience is limited to the one we found a few months ago whilst on holidays and about 15 belonging to my friend that I try to trick train. They can also be much louder than IRNs and seem to have a wider repertoire of noises.

Ellie.