Fledging time trouble??

Moderator: Mods

dotfish

Fledging time trouble??

Post by dotfish »

Hi,
My alex which is of 10 week old has stopped taking hand feeding and all day he does is flying around without eating and this makes me worried. I am offering food every time but he is not interested at all. Though he does that sounds/cries which he makes when he is hungry/when I start making his hand feeding formula but when I start offering food he just shakes his head and go away. I am offering fruits, bits of biscuits, nuts etc separately which he tries to bit and eat but I don't see him eating sufficiently. As of now he is always on on fans or ventilators and stays there and doesnt come backs to cage at all. Because this I am switching on any fans in the house these @ day time though its hot weather here in India now. So I want to ask you guys whether this is normal at fledging time? Does everyone goes through this stage? Kindly share your experience and let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanx & Regards
Dotfish
pelican

Re: Fledging time trouble??

Post by pelican »

Sounds like you need to take a trip to the vet with this bird. Birds like parrots can be finicky when it come to their behavior. Any time you see behavior like this that is out of the ordinary for how the bird usually acts means you need to take it to a professional. One of my cockatoos was having an issue like this but he was very old.
Last edited by pelican on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leo

Post by leo »

dotfish wrote:Hi,
My alex which is of 10 week old has stopped taking hand feeding and all day he does is flying around without eating and this makes me worried. I am offering food every time but he is not interested at all. Though he does that sounds/cries which he makes when he is hungry/when I start making his hand feeding formula but when I start offering food he just shakes his head and go away. I am offering fruits, bits of biscuits, nuts etc separately which he tries to bit and eat but I don't see him eating sufficiently. As of now he is always on on fans or ventilators and stays there and doesnt come backs to cage at all. Because this I am switching on any fans in the house these @ day time though its hot weather here in India now. So I want to ask you guys whether this is normal at fledging time? Does everyone goes through this stage? Kindly share your experience and let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanx & Regards
Dotfish
I weaned 2 ringneck baby before and they behave exactly the same way.
It's rather normal I guess
Just feed the bird at night( usually they are bug enough for 1 feeding /day)
Try to feed the bird without taking him out( my cage has a big door).
Provide plenty of food and millet spray.

Let him out after feeding.
dotfish

Post by dotfish »

Thanx Leo & Pelican for the reply

@leo you were correct, I fed him exactly the way you said and he used to take a single gulp but I kept feeding him many times a day and left corn, socked almonds, tomatoes and chillies, with socked grams & millet and he started tasting and eating them and now he doesn't even take any food from me, he is eating pretty ok by his own and my guess was right as its with fledging time and he is now getting more independent. He is loving his flight more than thinking about food now.

Btw he loves green chillies and socked almonds
I am just enjoying watching how quick this fellow is growing

Thank guys and u guys have been very helpful

Dotfish
pelican

Post by pelican »

That is good to know he is eating. I initially read it that he is not eating at all and he was starving himself. Sounds like he acts like my teenagers when I ask them to do chores. Lol!
dotfish

Post by dotfish »

No Pelican, He does eat sometimes but only when he feel like , that too if I compare with normal food intake then this is bad, recently his appetite has been better and started eating by his own though sometimes he takes his feeding formula from my hand but I am glad as he started tasting other eatables and he loves them sometimes :) But very fuzzy now, he is going independent I suppose :) Btw I liked ur comparison with ur teenagers :)