alexandrine vs indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

leo

alexandrine vs indian ringneck

Post by leo »

hi, i am getting an alex soon. he is a few years old and i am not too sure weather he is tame or not.
according to the owner, he was tame, but due to change in schedule, he was left alone and thus become "semi-tame"

what i am wanting to know is, in personality wise, how different alex compare to irn?
many said alex is gentler, but i have read many versions of alex general personalty on the net and find it contradicting at some points.

so i decided to ask those who already have experienced alex before.
jean19

Re: alexandrine vs indian ringneck

Post by jean19 »

mine is a sweety , but i'd sai that they all got their proper caracter ...
leo

Post by leo »

i just got him last night. i think he is about 4-5 yeard old male.
very very shy and refuse to step up. a very very gentle bird with over sized beak. lol

he peals off the branch that i used as a perch as effortless as ringneck pealing apple.

i am a little worried on this part.
he is almost fully feathered. he has 3 clipped feather on each wing(the rest of the clipped feather has grown back)
it was the most outer last 3 feather that missing.
but he could not fly at all.

he did flap but he will fall uncontrollably. then he was perching on my hand and flap the wing hard, i can feel there is no lifting from the flapping.
is it something to be worried about?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

he could have been clipped before he was able to fly when he was a baby but it might be a good idea to have a vet look at him
dotfish

Post by dotfish »

they are called gentle giants though they are much bigger than IRN but I found them to be much more friendly than IRN (IMHO)
leo

Post by leo »

Yes. They are super gentle.
Much gentler than ringneck.
The way they walk also different.
Alex would walk slowly, step by step.

I manage to get him to fly to me on command.
He can fly already.
One of the morning he keep flapping his wing really hard. Then without mr knowing, he is flying. He can fly about 2-3 m for now. But it's good enough to start off.
I will update u guys with pics
julie

Post by julie »

I have both. I can say they are different but muchly the same. Mika never learnt to bite,he thinks putting his beak on us is biting. He can shred a thick perch in a day but doesnt know how to bite :? He seems to learn new words and sounds very quick and doesnt know how to speak bird, he looks very confused when another bird doesnt want kisses and has a go at him. He is very docile and very toddler like. Right now he is taking things off my daughter and running away like its a game. He does get loud sometimes. But as with Irns im pretty sure some alexs can be quite mean. :? its just a matter of getting the right one.