How Loud are Alexandrines?

Moderator: Mods

lchristine02

How Loud are Alexandrines?

Post by lchristine02 »

I have a male indian ringneck and I am considering getting a male alex but was worried about the noise. My IRN is not very loud but he has his moments of the classic call. I was just wondering if the alexandrines are more like a sun conure that they just scream all day or is it just moments when they get excited? Thank you for any response!
jean19

Re: How Loud are Alexandrines?

Post by jean19 »

most of the time mine "speaks" in is beak , he barely really screams . but again all will depend on the bird
education .
lchristine02

Post by lchristine02 »

Thanks for your reply! So by bird education you mean how I train and react to the screams?
jean19

Post by jean19 »

yes , you got it ! when he screamed i never reacted , when he is speaking nicely or not making any noise , i speak to him , take him out , play with im give im a treat , but i never react in any manner when he is screaming loudly .
julie

Post by julie »

I can hear Mika when im in the car driving out my driveway and the house is locked up. He doesnt do it all the time and its not a normal contact call, he either barks or yells Julie. They can be really loud but they are also quiet too. Mika likes to talk alot and is more talk than squark.
Yoda_bird

Post by Yoda_bird »

Our Alexandrine gives about three loud squawks per week, and an occasional "bahk!" when he's been surprised by something unpleasantly (e.g. if you pick him up when he's not expecting it). He does a lot of very quiet "purring" and some very quiet muttering to himself. He only says one phrase, "come on!" which he says about twice a month. He's the quietest bird I've ever encountered. I'm not sure if this is typical of the species, but this is how ours is.