Breeding Budgies

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

birdies5

Breeding Budgies

Post by birdies5 »

Hi again. This is Chipper's Mom, some of you may remember. He is fine but still not too social, although hubby can get him out and hold him. He is definately a "man's" bird. Two weeks ago, I got my Angel, a pretty little hen budgie to breed with my Indigo, who is two years old. Angel, I was told, was 4 months old. I am not totally convinced because her cere was such a dark brown already. So they were in side by side cages at first, but they seemed so anxious to meet that I now have them together. Today Indigo began to preen her head and this evening he is acting like he wants to feed her or have her feed him. So what I need to know is this: Because I cannot breed them for at least 6 months, is it a mistake to have them together already? Will they just form a close bond by being together? I was hoping they would play with the toys more than they do, but they just do alot of perch hopping and eating. This is a large cage that has an opening, now blocked, to attach the nesting box. That is why I wanted Angel in it at the very start. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from an experienced budgie "mom". Thank you. Donna
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I'm not sure if it is correct budgie "parronting" but I keep my budgies together year round. If you don't give them a nest box, I don't think you will have problems.
MCS