Babies are out of the nest

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

CatsChair

Babies are out of the nest

Post by CatsChair »

Okay, tried another server, let's see if you can actually see these in the thread. Babies are finally out of the nest (the little one wouldn't come out until today). Funny, they hatched just a couple of days apart, but the older one seems so much bigger, even starting to change his beak color. Very hard to get a portrait when everyone else in the cage is flying around madly because the hand has come to visit!
MCS
Bird crazy

Finches, zebra

Post by Bird crazy »

I love finches, I love to hear their little honking noises.
I had a pair for years. They were so much fun.

And your new babies are so cute.

How many finches do you have?

I think we need a pic of each of them with names.
I know it will be a long post but we'd love to see them.
Or at least I would.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

That would be a post! The grand total is 14; they do all have names (except the new babies), but in a pinch I am not sure I could identify who was whom. Right now a few of them are looking raggedy, since they have been undivided and we have had a bit of feather picking. Will give the babies another week, then everybody is back to "dorms" by gender. Seems every time I tell someone I have zebras, they have a friend of a friend who wants to give theirs away. Funny thing is that the tiels have learned the male finch song (and Magellan is picking it up). They are very soothing to watch hop around and listen to that little peep peep peep (of course it drives some people crazy). This is my favorite "family" shot. They are in an enormous cage and all lined up like little soldiers; this was the whole crew before the two additions.
MCS
Bird crazy

Now that's a flock of birds

Post by Bird crazy »

They are adorable. I can sit and look at them and hear their honking. I love that sound. At one point in my varied and gypsy life I had a home in NC and my hubby built me an outdoor aviary and I had several different kinds of finches in it during the spring summer and fall, they had to come inside in the winter though it got too cold. I would love to sit outside and watch them and listen to them.

Consider yourself blessed. :D
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat