The Linnie!

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

MissK

The Linnie!

Post by MissK »

It turns out I really like people's threads telling about their bird's daily doings, so I'm making this thread about my Lineolated Parakeet, Lynnie. I can't say there won't one day be a second Linnie, so if there ever is, he'll go here too.

I introduced Lynnie on a different thread. His back story is that I got him from a private bird reseller who sold him as a failed breeder female, about 3 years old. A quick trip to the vet and a couple loooong weeks later, my suspicions were confirmed: He's a boy. Lynnie is not tame at all. He screamed bloody murder for the entire time the vet held him, and I can vouch she is very, very nice to birds. Fortunately, he was calm enough to be caged next to my computer chair. I think he is an Olive mutation. The little white flecks about his head are pin feathers.

Since Lynnie came home at the beginning of May, 2014, he has made some little bit of progress. His clipped wing feathers grew out. He learned to eat something out of the many choices I give him, though I'm still not sure what he's looking for when he roots through the dish. He seems OK with leaves and I have seen his beak touch a pellet and a vegetable. He enjoys nibbling his Parlour Palm. AND he is willing to declare a non-tameness truce when I hold a spray of millet discreetly for him on his special millet eating perch. He recently came out of his cage for a fly around the living room and was nice enough to go back home on his own. I never could have caught him, so I'm glad. I think he liked Rocky's fig branch. :lol:

Today Lynnie gave me a special show, and I'm glad because it explained all the millet hulls on my chair. He climbed down to the grate and flapped his wings so fast everything went flying (except for him)! When I looked at him and spoke, he retreated upwards, but before I knew it he was back, doing it again. He did this five times. Maybe he always does it, but today I was lucky enough to see. :D

-MissK
Donovan

Re: The Linnie!

Post by Donovan »

How did you come to choose this particular bird??

Mr. Bell has given his approval by showing a lot of interest at the picture haha
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Can I say: "What a little cutey pootey! Awwww!" Or will that result in missk blocking my posts?
And so clever to work out how to get all the millet husks out by himself!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wait, we can block posts? How Come Nobody Told Me This Before???!~
It must be tell MissK stuff when it's too late day.

Claire, If I did that I'd be a big hypocrite since I always look at him and declare "Look at all that Sweetness!"

Donovan, quite simply, he was priced very low. I wanted Linnies, and if they had been $25 I would probably have gotten Linnies instead of Budgies (probably....). But Linnies go for closer to $175 and up around here, IF you can find them. When this little guy came up for sale and he was second hand and he was "cheap", I went to see him almost like a reflex. Probably should have thought that through a little bit, and I never would have got him if I had known Sinbad was just around the corner. He's fantastic, though. If he tames up well he might end up being my (shhhhh!!) favourite.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Missk I bet your place gets pretty loud sometimes with so many birds now. Do they ever all go at it at the same time?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, yes, at certain times of every day they do and it is really loud. Right now, though, Rocky is asking himself how he is over and over, and commenting "Good Bird", while there is dead silence in every other way, except for sounds of a storm rolling in, my typing, and the fan. (This is kinda why I'm not interested in my birds speaking English......)

In the morning they are remarkably quiet, and the noise picks up after they hear me moving around. Or maybe it starts when my dog tells me to get up that prompts them to chatter. :lol: They make a variety of sounds until they get their morning chow, and then deafening silence. The biggest noise is when the Budgies get going because they are loudest on their own. When Rocky and Sinbad get into their Mutual Admiration Society meeting it gets loud but I make it louder with my laughing. It was pretty obnoxious when Sinbad was yelling at me every time I drew breath, but he has nearly stopped that. For instance, I couldn't tell he was even alive right now without looking. Canaries sing when something strikes their fancy. Lynnie, when he does, which is not often, makes a surprisingly loud call. The whole group will get going again in a few hours.

So far it has not gotten loud enough to drive me from the room, but I can see how it might do that to someone else.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

would you say that the majority of all the birds' time is spent just kinda sitting around doing nothing?

my own birds like to have fun and interact but the reality is that most the time they're just sitting around doing nothing.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan wrote:
my own birds like to have fun and interact but the reality is that most time they're just sitting around doing nothing.
lucky you! I live with the energizer bunny disguised as an irn! She just goes non stop, has a quick nap (which she talks through) and then goes again. Nila is a bit more laid back, but he doesn't like to miss out on any action.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think this discussion of living with a flock deserves it's own thread, so I have just made one. I quoted the last few posts for continuity and I hope we can further this discussion there. I really wanted this current thread to be about Lynnie.

Here's the link!
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 15#p117715
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

How could I miss this thread ? I'm curious about your Lynnie. I want to know Lineolated Parekeets' personalities. Lynnie is so lovely. I'm crazy for smal parrots.
MissK

Post by MissK »

GeveZe, where to start? Lynnie is cuteness on a stick, that's for sure.

He is very circumspect and cautious, moves slowly in general. He enjoys his paper toys and never touches his beads. He likes chewing the vines and the cords I gave him, but never rings the bell or even looks at the ball. One day I caught him savagely attacking one of Rocky's feathers I gave him. I gave him Rocky's because it was so big and not at all like his own.

He also spent today loose in the living room without me. I rushed out of the house without closing his cage. He seems to still have all his toes, though. I found him on top the Budgie's cage, just chilling out. I can tell he made a visit to my keyboard because that's where In left the spray millet....... It was necessary to encourage him to go home by showing him a perch. OK, he was fleeing the perch. It's not good birdkeeping, but I needed to get him back in the cage in a hurry and he won't follow a lure or step up or anything. I have a lot of things to unload from the car and I can't have him loose while I do that, and it's 9:30 at night!

He is a little bit inscrutable. I get the feeling he will be a bit feisty when we know each other better and he relaxes more with me. He goes about his routine calmly, and if he gets ruffled he may run to the top of his cage and look down at me. I believe he is lonely because he was taken away from his friend. He yells at me when he wants my food. Of all my birds, for some reason, I want to hold this one. But he is a long, long, long way from that. Also, he doesn't like the food here. He eats, but not with relish. Secretly, I am in negotiations to find him a friend. I know that means One More Bird, but he needs a friend. I'm considering a retired breeder bird that lives four hours away. We'll see.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Such a tiny body and such a big personality. Your birds so lucky i think. =) sometimes I feel that Börek needs a Ringneck companion. But I'm not like you. It's so hard to handle another Ringneck's responsibility for me. So I'm amazed by you.