Zebra Finches <3

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

Tabaneske

Zebra Finches <3

Post by Tabaneske »

Hey guys,

I LOVE zebra finches, and I bought 9 of them in September last year. I now have 16 of them (I think, they keep moving when I count them.) They are in an outdoor aviary with my IRNs and single male cockatiel. I will be splitting the species up when I get the other aviary fixed, but my partner is too busy playing the computer to weld up the broken bits on my aviary, lol. Men... -rolls eyes-

The first 9 finches I bought were all fawns except one female that was charcoal. Now after their breeding, I have a couple more charcoals and more fawns. I am planning on getting other colour mutations so I get some more variety in colours, even if I just get a couple of grey ones. But this is the first time I have had a charcoal one. When I used to own finches years ago, I ended up with a lot of pied ones, which were beautiful. I am aiming to get that mix again, but finding them where I live with no transport is hard. LOL.

I have one guy who got is leg ring caught on a branch and flipped himself right over and now he cannot use he leg very well. But he has learned to cope with it alright, and still has babies with his mate.

I also have one girl who can't fly. So she lives on the bottom of the aviary. I might actually bring her inside with a male so she has some company. I feel so sorry for her. She can fly with all her might to only get knee high off the ground, and then just falls back down. She doesn't seem fussed about living on the aviary floor, since the other birds knock off enough food from the suspended food bowls for the ants and mice on the floor to eat, LOL.

I might take some pictures of my little flock some time soon to show you guys. But maybe after I put up some new perches. The IRNs, especially the baby one that was born last year, loves to chew the perches to pieces. My finches actually can't nest now because the young IRN has chewed the finch nests to pieces. I'm not impressed. So I have to seperate the species soon if I want any more baby finches. Cheeky IRNs.

Please share any zebra finch stories you have, or any other breed of finch. I love them so much. <3
MissK

Re: Zebra Finches <3

Post by MissK »

I had zebra finches when I was in college. They're very lively and entertaining. Really messy, too! When you bring in your handicapped girl, why don't you let her company be another female? It doesn't sound like she should really be breeding. I like the idea of making her a house pet, though! :D
-MissK
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

That's not a bad idea MissK. Two little girls inside would be nice. Although I do like the markings and song of the males, but atleast I can still hear them outside.

I will have to find a girl not too aggressive though. When I got these guys they must of been in a crowded cage because they are so aggressive with each other. They have calmed down a little, but still the girls can be nasty to each other.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I agree; cage size is very important! Best wishes for you~!
-MissK
smick

Post by smick »

I used to breed them when I was young in a planted aviary with other finch's and Scarlet chested parrots and princess parrots, But the Zebra finch's bred like mice :roll: I started with 3 pair and after 2 years I sold off 289 because no other finch had a chance to breed because the Zebra finch's took over all nest sites. A great little bird but, I had normal's , and colours such as fawn, un marked white, marked white , pied's and black breasted. Thanks Mick