Urgent advise needed!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Tinus

Urgent advise needed!

Post by Tinus »

Hi guys,

So I really need some advise here as I'm now really at my wit's end with my boy Paulie..

First of guys allow me to tell you that my ringnecks are my babies, I have always been extremely dedicated to them and spare no expense for them, they have a hyper healthy diet, loads of toys, open spare where they roam freely, loads of perches etc, Paulie gets out every morning at around 4 and gets in under the blankets with me till around 6:30AM when I have to get up, so please know that I'm not a guy who is looking for help after neglecting my birds or not paying enough attention, they really are my own children to me.

So the issue I'm having is with Paulie's beak, I've now been to the vet 3 times after the first initial break on he's upper beak, the vet had a bird clinic where he took off the front part, burned the beak with an iron to seal the wound and stop it from bleeding and buffed it neatly. Everything looked fine for a week or so until the burnt part broke off yet again, I took him back, he got burned again, and the same thing happened for a third time. Seeing as it didn't bleed, I was giving it some time to see if it would heal before taking him back again as I'm fairy sure he can't be burned a third time with the beak being as short as it is now.

As it stands Paulie's upper beak seems to be slowly healing, no blood, although very short, however now he's lower beak also started chipping away, first a little piece, I waited to see if it would continue, then a bigger piece 2 days after, and now today it chipped away to the point where you can see the inner white "teethy" looking part of he's lower beak.

Now he's been getting injections from all the vet visits, I've also focussed on vitamin A, sweet potato, carrots, and fruits and veggies, but this doesn't seem to be helping. I've been on the indian ringneck facebook page, as well as the first aid birds page, looking for help, and now I'm finally here.

Guys I'm sorry for the major wall of text but as you can probably tell I'm a little stressed out here, looking for any advise you guys can give. Here are some pics of he's beak:

As for he's age, I really don't know, I took him in when he was already fairly matured 4 - 5 years ago when someone else wanted to abandon him. He has shown no signs of depression, in fact he's behavior didn't change at all, he eats and poops just fine and is as full of personality as ever.
AJPeter

Re: Urgent advise needed!

Post by AJPeter »

I feel very sorry for you, l do know that their beaks peel and grow new skin over the beak, maybe some one can help but l am at a loss just hope it gets better,
valcoff

Post by valcoff »

If I think my birds (of all kinds) are lacking, I give a mixture of Codliver oil, calcium and pentavite (baby vitamins) It helps and I have fixed a couple of baby IRN's and a drake who wouldn't walk. He was too heavy for his legs. ;)

I am not saying this will fix your bird, but as you are trying everything why not try it for a week or two. Up to you, but it won't hurt your bird. I crushed a few calcium tablets and put them in a container. I mixed a bit of the powder with the other two things.
Has he had any testing for calcium deficiency at all? Any blood tests at all?
Good luck with your baby. I know how you feel.
Babsi

Post by Babsi »

I agree with Valcoff on the calcium. However birds also do well with a protein boost during molting and I would assume it would be the same for growing back an injured beak. Liquid avian calcium is available. This is a mandatory staple in my bird room (I hobby breed finches too) and it is clear, tasteless and a liquid added to the water. http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_hical.php I use it when my finches are laying eggs or going through their yearly molt.

For added protein I mash boiled egg during molting season and my birds devour it. Boiled egg also has the vitaminD they need to properly absorb calcium. Without an avian vitamin D supplement or full spectrum lighting or natural sunlight a bird can quickly become calcium deficient. People may balk at feeding a bird an egg, but for my birds boiled egg has proven to be a bit of a superfood.

In addition to the liquid calcium and boiled egg, my birds are under full spectrum lighting. Hope this helps. PS I am super dissapointed your vet hasnt told you to do these things already.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk