Please help me!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

birbsyg

Please help me!

Post by birbsyg »

Hi,

I bought an untamed 1.5 - 2 years old green indian ringneck in February this year. Almost 6 months later, it still shows no signs of tameness / opening up to me. It screams and run to the corner whenever I get near it. I've been trying to train her, by opening the cage door everyday and talking to her softly, offering food to her from my hand. She does scream for awhile after I open her door, but would settle down after 10 minutes, and would show signs of comfort such as standing with 1 leg up, or even taking a nap. She doesn't want to step out or even show signs of wanting to step out of the cage. She does take fruits that I place on her perch after I walk away though. Other than that, there seems to be little to no progress at all.

However, I notice that she seems to love shower time! She wouldn't mind if I place my hands in her cage to clean her perches, and doesn't mind when I come very near her either.

I've contacted the guy whom I bought my bird from, and he told me that he doesn't spend a lot of time with her before as he is always busy working. I think this might be a reason why my bird is scared of me, as she wasn't exposed to human interaction from young?

Even if I don't want to because I love her a lot, I might consider giving her to a more experienced bird lover, who would be able to tame and take care of her better than me.

What should I do?
Please help me. :(
MissK

Re: Please help me!

Post by MissK »

Hi. You've done the right thing to come here and ask for suggestions. If you love your bird then you have many more strategies you can try before deciding to give it up. That's what the last guy did - gave it up and passed the unhappy bird along. How many times do you think that will happen before someone gives this bird a real home forever?

So, here you will find good instructions and social support. You can use the SEARCH function to find information on taming. You can and truly should read posts by InTheAir. She has put a lot of effort into making excellent reference material available to us. I've made a few posts, myself. Many people have come here seeking the same thing as you. If you read their posts you will get the advice they have gotten.

The first advice I would give you is to immediately STOP doing anything that makes the bird uncomfortable. If the bird shows any negative reaction then you have already crossed its comfort line. Stop and go back, and do not do that thing again. Repeat things that the bird does like. Spend time in the room ignoring the bird, reading or eating, or whatever. Give treats as you go by. Speak to the bird from whatever distance the bird says is OK. Remember to ask only little things from the bird in steps towards what you want. What you want first is that the bird not be afraid. Physical interaction comes later, so forget it for now. Above all, respect your bird as an intelligent and sensitive individual. Welcome to the forum.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Good advice MissK, just take it slowly Birbsyg.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Keep your bird, they all have different temperments, m y bird is nearly wild and l have had her three years l like it that way it seem more natural and it she were to escape l know whe will be able to cope in the wild. Do not rush taming build up her confidence it is good you can clean her perches with out getting bitten work on the inter reaction in the shower, if she loves it is so much try offering her a shower in returd for some training?
sajjadb

Post by sajjadb »

I am not sure if this will help but my sister went and bought 3 years old ring neck. she wanted him to talk step up and sit on her shoulder.
Person she bought it from all he told her to give a bird a week to settle down and he is a good boy he will step up on your finger. so here is what my sister did she left the bird alone for whole entire week. she kept him in living room where all the action is. kids running around watching tv and games and toys noises all that good stuff.
Week later she try and ask the bird nicely step up buddy BOOM! SHE GOT BIT SO HARD AND NOW she is scared of her bird. so she called me and explained everything. I am not professional trainer or anything. but I have to bird pets one is sun conure and other one is IRN Blue Lacewings.
and both of my bird stay out all day. only time they see the cage when its bed time.

So here is what I did. I brought the bird home. and put him on open tree perch which you can buy from any bird store. I left him alone for one day with some good treats and water. I was talking to him whole entire day softly but did not attempt to even get closer to him.
Next day I went very slow with soft voice saying hi buddy and I acted like I was going for the perch slowly i went close to his left foot and try to rub it. he was fine with it. he lifted his foot couple of times that show me bird is still not comfortable with me touching him. So i left him alone again and repeated the same process next day. EVERY DAY I TRIED AND DID LIL MORE THAN THE LAST DAY. And NOW 3 WEEKS LATER. THIS GUY SLEEPS IN BED WITH ME. EVERY BIRD IS DIFFRENT SOME ARE ABUSED AND SOME WERE JUST LEFT ALONE. Be patient that's the key. i believe leaving the bird alone in cage does nothing. leave them in open in room where is no couch nothing and its bird proof you will see progress. please let me know if this help. There is other way people normally take them in bathroom that can be one of the things you can try leave lil bit of water running on back ground i guess make the bird feel better. take your time and keep him free not caged he will come to you keep trying.