Newbie - Adopted young IRN, need some advice.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Janelle1693

Newbie - Adopted young IRN, need some advice.

Post by Janelle1693 »

Hello!

Someone dumped a young IRN at my clinic so I have taken him/her home otherwise it would have died! I have experience with Budgies and Cockatiels but not larger parrots.
Whoever had her (could be a male but looks young - no ring yet) to start with has hacked away at her wings to try and handle her, but it has not worked and she can still fly (which isn't an issue for me, but uncomfortable for her!)
Does anyone have an tips or ideas on how I can handle her more without terrifying her? At the moment, when I go into her cage to feed her or clean it, I am adding some apple so when she see's me coming, she knows she'll get a treat. Is this the right way to go? My tiel was easy, I had her very young and I was able to handle her a lot!

I currently have her set up in her own cage, my cockatiel is befriending her in the next cage (I would not put them together - my tiel is too friendly and don't want to risk her being attacked). I have offered her fruit and veggies which she is eating away happily. She is currently eating a small parrot seed mix, what are peoples thought on pellet diets? Do you recommend one over the other? Are there any particular veggies/fruits I should be eating more of?

I just want to make sure she is looked after from now on, she is a beautiful bird, and I am seriously hoping she'll start talking soon, I never had any luck with the tiel!

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
InTheAir

Re: Newbie - Adopted young IRN, need some advice.

Post by InTheAir »

http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... l-parrots/

I used that and my girl warmed up to me surprisingly quickly.

Good luck!
MissK

Re: Newbie - Adopted young IRN, need some advice.

Post by MissK »

Couldn't hurt to let your Budgie & 'Tiel model stepping up and being handled and hand fed. I suggest letting them put on a show right by the IRN daily - doesn't need to be a prolonged experience, just do it twice a day. Also, IRN seem to respond enthusiastically to watching us eat. By all means, follow the link from InTheAir. Best wishes.
-MissK