Guess Whatt!!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Little Buttercup

Guess Whatt!!!

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hey everyone! I can't believe it, i'm actually sitting here typing, with an Indian Ringneck sitting on my shoulder! Yes on my shoulder! Oh he such a cutie, what do I say :D Let me explain how I stumbled upon this baba.

While browsing Parrotalert, I noticed a found green ringneck ad. So I called the lady, in the hope that its my Kiwi. A fter talking to her I came to know that it was'nt my one. Then after a while she sent me a msg asking if I would like to take this one, since she found it more than 2 months ago, advertised it everywhere, put up posters in the entire area, yet no one came to claim him and she has 5 dogs and this bird does'nt seem to like the cage. Oh and he can open cage doors and the dogs nearly got him at one stage. Soo, that was enough for me take him and look after him, in the hope of finding his home.

So here I am, sitting with this Ringneck. He is quite young, no ring around the neck, maybe a year old. Not sure whether its a girl or boy. He has some issues that I need to change while he is here with me, not serious though. First, he likes to sit on my shoulder and that is something I don't like, I prefer them to sit on my hand or arm. Don't fancy the idea of that beak next to my ears and neck :lol: . He is afraid to get onto my hand, so he will climb up and very fast make his way to my shoulder, as if he is standing on fire when on my hand, hehe. Secondly, he flies onto anything, kitchen tables, counter tops etc. Not a problem for me, but it is for other family members :lol: . So I have to work on that now. Not sure where to start, suppose browse this forum and find some ideas. My mind is not in training mode, since the past 8 months. I need to brush up on my training skills. :lol:

I feel that he may be a 'throw away' like AJ's Billie. His owner perhaps could'nt handle him, I think he was spoilt by the owner. He has the habit of jumping onto anything, in your food, demanding whatever I eat, coffee, ice cream sweet goodies etc. He takes anything I offer him, even if its a piece of cake or ice cream on a spoon. He loves eating off a spoon. Oh and all the sunflowers! But thank goodness he loves fruit and veggies as well, so I hand him those and he accepts it. So his diet too needs some working with. Then I can use the sunflowers as treats, once he is off those in his bowl.

At the moment he is sitting and preening himself on my shoulder, not my favourite idea for a perch :roll:

Ash
AJPeter

Re: Guess Whatt!!!

Post by AJPeter »

i am so happy for you Ash, no bird can take the place of Kiwi but this one is a gift from Heaven, l think it is highly unlikely he will bite your jugular, more like he will chew your collar. Becareful not to spoil him. Most birds are not happy with hands.

Have you thought of a name for him yet, it ought to be something to do with lost and and found Robinson Crusoe comes to mind, but you will think of your own name.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ash, that's great news. I kind of like how it's worked for you, completing the circle. You lost Kiwi, and somebody else lost this one. You've taken him in, as someone must have taken in Kiwi. A kind of accidental trade. A kind of many hands in the bigger picture of parrot's adventures. He must have been someone's darling, to be so at ease in the home.

Get a pair of ear muffs if you are concerned about nibbles. Maybe try raising your hand so it is at least level with the shoulder and luring him back to the hand with the magic peanut or whatever. Provide the perch that's better than other perching spots. Maybe curtail your consumption of no-nos while he's at liberty? Maybe you get a big plastic placemat and a tabletop perch with a dish, since he's bound to be coming to the table anyway?

He sounds so very friendly I think this is going to prove most excellent for you. I think you should give him a name that reflects a specially loved and spoiled status. Maybe Boo-Boo Darling. Maybe Little Most Precious. Maybe Cookie Monster. OK, maybe you choose your own. I'm enthusiastic but not exactly known for prize winning animal names.

Congratulations, dear. Be careful.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Yes he never tried to bite me yet, but I just feel wary of him sitting there. Anyway the first time he jumped on, I grabbed a scarf and wrapped it around my head :lol: . Ayy i'm such a baby for being so scared. True I feel he is a heavenly gift, so i'm trying to find a name for him in another languange that might mean, found treasure, gift from heaven or precious. I'm looking for 1 in Arabic or Urdu since I see they have some exotic sounding names. Wondering if anyone here can come up with a suggestion. I need a name soon, since I can't work without a name. My every sentence starts with the birds name when i'm talking to them. The lady was calling him Bokkie, i'm using that at the moment, but I don't want that to stick onto him so i'm using Cuddles as well. She has a meyers parrot called Boo Boo.

I will really miss him, should his owner turn up. That lady misses him alot and say her house is very quiet now. She made me promise to send photos of him and report back on his progress. She is happy for him that he found a nice home where he likes it. I see that he really does like the cage, the cage she kept him in was too small so he kept pacing around and tried to open the doors. He does'nt do that here in the bigger cage. Actually he spends alot of time inside, does'nt scream to come out, and when I close the door he is ok with it, does'nt try to make a run-away. Oh and he is so calm when I work inside the cage, never tried to bite even.

Good idea MissK, about the table perch and setting. Whenever i'm working on the table he flies over and pushes his beak into the veggies and things that i'm busy with. Oh and yes, going to be very careful.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ash, it's been two months since he was found. He's yours now, sweetie. Relax. Savour. Pick a name.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I was thinking that Wiki would be a good name sort of Kiwi back wards
MissK

Post by MissK »

It would be a fine name, but not for this bird. Our Ash needs to be looking forward, not forever looking back.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Congrats on your new little one. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Little Buttercup

Thanks Melika, but you will have to congratulate me again after 1 year when I become the owner :) .

I took him to the petshop when I went, he loves the car ride, even on our first car trip when I went to fetch him I noticed he is very much at ease in the car. At the petshop they said he is about a year old, they checked his leg band, no birthdate on, can't tell whether boy or girl at the moment. I'll play the waiting game. I named him Anwaar, which means Light, since he brought Light to my heart and house. But sometimes its Cuddles and sometimes Anwaar. Do any of you think 2 names is a bad idea for an IRN? Should I stick to only 1?

He definitley is someones tame bird, I can see from his choice of foods and the way he loves to ride on my shoulder. He is an expert at landing on my shoulder wherever he is. He loves sweet foods alot and butter!! I can't leave the butter on the table and he will be lapping it up. Yesterday I made oats for him and sweetened it with a little honey and he enjoyed that while I was have ice cream. And he loves eating from a teaspoon, shows again that his owner fed him with a spoon.

At what age does a ringneck start pinning eyes? Because I notice he hardly pins and when he do its very slightly, so it seems like still very young. When eating sweet fruits which he loves, he pins slightly, but never yet pinned at me in anger.

Oh and not once did he mess on my shoulder! Seems like someone taught him not to, unless he knows thats not a place to use as a loo :) .

Ash
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

hi Ash

I'm not sure when the pinning of the eyes start but in my flock I noticed that they will sometimes pin their eyes while they're savoring an especially tasty treat. When they do it while eating it seems like they do not pin their eyes as much as when they're upset but there's a definite constriction of the pupils.

I was going to suggest Lobola (bridesprize in Zulu) as a name but I see you already have that figured out.

Wessel
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Anwaar is a great name, my bird Billie was originally Bella but she seems to have adjusted to the new name right from the beginning. I do not think it matters what you call your bird as long as he knows you are talking to him, after all how many name did he have before he came to you?

Be careful about his diet, butter is very high in fats, Anwaar cannot eat your diet although he might enjoy it check out Melika's page on diets and good food for IRN.
Little Buttercup

Thanks Wessel for the name suggestion :) . But i'm settled down now with that name. Okay, now I understand why he pins his eyes only slightly, I thought at first maybe its because he very young so don't pin fully. I have'nt seen him upset yet. I started target training with him, he is doing well. Still loves to sit on my shoulder, and afraid to sit on my hand. He will step up on the back of my hand or arm, but run to my shoulder. He does'nt stay on my arm. He likes oily foods :o if he can get hold of it. So I offered him a little coconut oil on a spoon and he started eating it. He needs that I think, since his feathers are'nt in a very good condition, he was in a small cage for 2 months, the size I use for travel. His moulting now as well.

Ash
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hello, just having a quick peek at new posts and your title caught my eye. Congratulations but I am a little more cautious than MissK. If you are still posting the found IRN ads, try not to get much more attached (if that is possible). Anwaar does sound like a bird that someone likely spent a lot of time with, therefore, he may have become scared and flown away when being transferred to a car, cage, out a window/door etc. I would hate to see you get your heart broken again.

I was going to suggest an omega fatty acid deficiency might be a problem and to recommend an appropriate supplement, but I see you thought of that already. :)
Mary
Little Buttercup

Hi Mary, thanks for the advice, but its hard not to get attached to someone you love and are spend plenty of time with daily. If the owner does turn up, I am mentally prepared for it. Even though I take him to be my own now, I would still give him up should the owner turn up and really wants him back. I feel its possible that the owner is out of the country and the caretaker did'nt look after this bird properly. Which is why I think it is a good idea to keep an open eye to any lost ringneck ads for a while. I'm not posting anymore found ads, since I feel if the owner is looking he would've put up a lost ad in the same sites and places that we advertised. For example, If he was a user of this site, he would've put up an ad here, gumtree user would put up there, etc.

Ash
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

:D Exactly! but you are a better person than I to just hand over the bird if the owners show up. I think I would have a heart to heart about how you came across the bird, your relationship with the bird, how the bird has adjusted etc and of course, the bird's reaction to the owners, if you chose to have the bird meet the owners. I do not think I would supply my address and I might even speak to a lawyer about 'lost property' and 'lost animals' and posting lost/found and rehoming - maybe speak to the SPCA.
If the bird is happy in a new flock - ie) with you - it may be traumatic - will likely be a cumulative trauma to just hand the bird over. There is repeated research to show that birds do feel trauma and loss similar to people. And of coarse, they would need to prove THIS bird was their's. Just think long and hard...and then come to the forum first...OK? :wink:

Hope we get an update soon - any pictures? C'mon I am sure you have them!
Mary
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Have you thought how Anwaar would react to being handed over? How would you react if you knew Anwaar would only be too happy to be handed over, maybe he ran away from his previous owner and here you are going to hand him back to a cruel owner?

No my friend you are lumberred with him, make the best of it and if somene does come wanting Anwaasr back hide him in the shed better to move than just hand Anwaar over/
Little Buttercup

Hi Mary, Anwaar is clearly happy here with me, he does'nt bite me even, nor show any intention to bite. I know it would be very hard to give him up, he has become my life now. He loves riding around on my shoulder and kisses me on my cheek and silly me is still so scared when that beak comes close to my face :lol: . He steps up on my hand, eats out of my hand, but does'nt stay on my hand for long, just goes for my shoulder. Maybe someone's hands scared him and now he don't like to be on the hand. Only if the owner comes up with a good excuse for taking so long to show up and for not putting up any lost ads where we would have seen it, and is really missing him, would I hand him over.
Oh Mary, ever since I joined this forum, I've never posted a pic! Just didn't take the trouble to learn posting pics, even though I have some pics.

AJ, :lol: :lol: :lol: I better keep a spare cage in the shed, incase I need to hide him. He is a quiet bird, so i'm sure he won't give himself away.

Anyway, time for me to uncover the cages, or is it well past waking up time! I better go. Thanks for the advices and taking the time to read and reply my posts.

Ash
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Ash, You may eventually notice that I have not posted any pictures of my birds either, so no worries. Maybe keep a spare towel to cover the shed cage just in case Anwaar calls to let you know you forgot him there. :wink:
Mary
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ash find some one who can post photos and email photos to them, l cannot post photos so l emailed them to Skye in Australia and she posted them for me. It must be nerve racking for you in case Anwaar's owner turns up but as you say they have not done much to find him, In Englsh law possession is 9/10 of the law, start giving your self reasons why you should not hand Anwaar over.
MissK

Post by MissK »

What's Anwaar getting for Christmas?

SOMEONE in my house has been completely busy looking after another human and nobirdie has any gifts lined up yet...... Time crunch!!! I need SIX gift ideas and QUICK or else they're all getting seeds in peanut butter!!!!!!!!!!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Peanut butter and seeds, Pea nutbutter and pea nut butter, seed and seeds, seeds and no pea nut butter, or pea nuit butter and no seeds. That is 5 how many more do you want?
Happy Christmas
Little Buttercup

Aaagh man, AJ! Come up with some better ideas for MissK. :roll:

MissK, Anwaar is getting a wreath with a perch attached in the centre of it, and a cookie that I will hang on the wreath. Also I made a tiny table for him out of a small clothes dryer kind of thing that came with the oil heater I bought. It has 2 metal perch like sides, I wrapped it up in twine and put a few beads along, so its looking like perfect perches. It has a centre part that's perfect for a table top and I can put his food on there. I just have to get him the placemat, then he will have the perfect table setting. Thanks for the table setting idea MissK. Oh and plenty of 'sweets' (Peanuts and sunflowers) :)
And now, what gift ideas can I give you..... Maybe they would love some new toys or another branch/playtree to hang on, with plenty of treats on it. Or maybe they would like to have sunflowers/peanuts/peanut butter etc. for the entire day, and no veggies for 1 day :lol: .

AJ, not at all nerve wracking for me about losing him to someone else. Just taking things as it comes. Whatever has to happen, will happen and can't be avoided. If he is meant to be mine, he will be and no one can take him away.

Ash
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well said Ash, Best wishes for a Happy and peaceful Christmas to oyu and Anwaar