hand raising my bird

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

taniabazi

hand raising my bird

Post by taniabazi »

Hello everyone I got my IRN a week ago, got the wings clipped off, new large cage with toys. She is 10 months old she is very quiet when we are around her and as soon as shes alone she's quiet she easily comes on my hand when I have a glove off but will bite my rare hands and will not come near it. Im trying to get her to step up on my hands without biting. Im very gentle with her and I whistle before I get to her so she is not scared. Can someone please help me on what to do to get started
Kraits77

Re: hand raising my bird

Post by Kraits77 »

You just need to SLOWLY, every day- or as much as you can- put your hand in the cage without the glove on so that your IRNP can get used to your hand. If your bird is scared of your hand and flaps away or freaks out when you put your hand in the cage then when/if you put your hand in the cage, slowly move your hand closer every time you put your hand in the cage.

After doing that for a while your parrot will get used to your hand and then you can push-very gently- on your birds chest and kind of push them of their perch until they step up onto your finger. :D

Give it a go and see if it works...

Kraits
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Kraits77 wrote:You just need to SLOWLY, every day- or as much as you can- put your hand in the cage without the glove on so that your IRNP can get used to your hand. If your bird is scared of your hand and flaps away or freaks out when you put your hand in the cage then when/if you put your hand in the cage, slowly move your hand closer every time you put your hand in the cage.

After doing that for a while your parrot will get used to your hand and then you can push-very gently- on your birds chest and kind of push them of their perch until they step up onto your finger. :D

Give it a go and see if it works...

Kraits
Please don't do that!

Sorry i didnt respond sooner, I just wanted to watch a tv show and play with my birds for a bit. My birds are now eating their vegetables, so I have some time now.

There are reasons parrots bite! The most common is fear. Sticking your hand in the cage traps the bird and gives it nowhere to escape to so it bites to defend itself. It is also not a very nice way to tame a bird!
Seriously, I tamed my girl without getting bitten, because I let her come to me when she was ready and never forced her. I have never clipped her wings either.

The first thing you should know is that a parrot bites you to communicate to you. The parrot bites because it is not happy with something, usually something you are doing. Listen to your parrot and back off.

I made friends with my girl simply by approaching her cage very carefully so she wouldn't get frightened and try to fly away, dropping her favourite treat into her dish and walking carefully away so she could eat in peace. I did this many times for a couple days and by day 4 (if I remember correctly) she was approaching me and taking treats from my hand before I had time to drop them in the bowl. I then started opening her cage door and holding a treat there for her to come get if she wanted to. If she didn't want to come to take it, I left it in her dish and left her alone.

There is some advice to keep you going until your bird comes to your bare hand and takes a treat confidently. Also, read through the forum because lots of stuff has been written on this subject already.

Check out my early videos of my girl, we called her Squidgette for a few weeks and then changed her name to Sapphire.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-ue3r ... 4NVHF42Q-Q

Regards,
Claire
Kraits77

Post by Kraits77 »

Ofcourse I would never put my hand in the cage...
I let my two birds roam around freely on the couch and they climb on my shoulder and I play with them and feed them :D

I was just passing on information that I have been told, that i thought might be helpful...

Sorry if it was a bad idea...

Kraits
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Here is a thread I created on taming techniques http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18946
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think it helps to sit by the cage while you eat your meal, she will be interested and soon will want to eat while you watch. Build relationship slowly,although my hen will allow me to put my hand in her cage when l clean once that is done permissionis withdrawn!

Follow InTheAir she has a lot of experience with her two birds.