What other animals do you have?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Harrysmums

What other animals do you have?

Post by Harrysmums »

Hey all

i was wondering how many of you have other animals and if you do what do you have??

i have 3 dogs

2 cats

1 corn snake

and 1 IRN

my IRN is obviously kept away from the other animals.

will try and post pictures soon
AJPeter

Re: What other animals do you have?

Post by AJPeter »

My Housing association hit the roof when l told them l had found a parrot and was going to keep her, it is a good job they do not know about the Theatre organ!
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I have a praying mantis, a cat, and a bird

I took the praying mantis outside to let him go but he didn't leave so i kept him. Had him since he was born. In fact it's the reason i have a bird. I went to a pet shop to get some crickets for him to eat and found my bird in there.

Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

We have two birds, Achilles and Percy (Perseus), two dogs, Koda who is a Golden-doodle and Tala who is a mini long haired dachshund. Koda weighs 85 lbs and Tala about 9. Tala runs the household and gets along really well with the birds, who love to tease her. Koda is indifferent to the birds and would prefer stay clear of them. (he is sort of a wuss, but we love him!!)
Mike
GayleDollarhide

Post by GayleDollarhide »

I AM CURRENTLY OWNED BY:
BOSS NO. 1 - CHICKEN HAWK, BLUE INR, 9 YRS OLD MALE.
BOSS NO. 2 - TIFFANI, POMERANIAN, 11 YR OLD FEMALE.
BOSS NO. 3 - JAKE, MALE GRAY TABBY, 2 YRS OLD CAT
BOSS NO. 4 - BUG, MALE, GRAY AND WHITE, 17 YR OLD MAN KITTY
BOSS NO. 5 - BUZZ, MALE, TUX, 4 YR OLD CAT
UNDERLING NO. 1 - C.J., POODLE FEMALE, 11 YRS OLD, SEMI BLIND & DEAF

BUTTERFLY KOI - TWO MALES AND ONE FEMALE - 3 YRS OLD

MY IRN IS BOSS OF EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING! HE IS DEMANDING, LOVING, A MONSTER AT TIMES BUT HE DOES MAKE LIFE VERRRRY INTERESTING. RIGHT NOW HE IS IN THE BREEDING SEASON MODE AND IS A MONSTER!
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

1 Indian Ringneck 1 Sun Conure 7 peach-faced lovebirds 2 black-cheek lovebirds
Finches - I am not going to count them because I justify having them by saying they are too small to count and should be considered like aquarium fish. And who counts all their fish?...Remember, I am trying to justify.

1 70lb dog 2 cats 2 rabbits - one of which was considered unadoptable and vicious - Guess they have never been bitten by a parrot :wink: Seriously, the rabbit is fine. She was scared and the shelter did not have time to sit and talk to her prior to cleaning her cage. They would throw a towel over her to move her and it started a vicious cycle. (no pun originally intended, but :lol: it works) They should have known better.

I have most of my animals because they were either unwanted or had issues. :( So far they all just needed someones time and patience.
Mary
Melika

Post by Melika »

19 Chickens (four of which are roosters named Prince Edward, Rockstar, Frederick, and Gimpy) Your pets poop sadness. Mine poop breakfast. XD

Amadeus, canine, aussie shep.
Persephone, avian, cockatiel.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

I, too, have a history with second hand animals. I find overall that they really just need time and compassion.

At this moment I'm living with 2 mutt-dogs, the Ringneck, 4 Budgies, and an elderly Canary. We have a long-term houseguest, my Mom's Canary. All of these animals are under the impression they live with a service monkey. :wink:
-MissK
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Whew! I have 6 dogs (3 are rescues off the street) 3 cats, 2 IRN, 2 Sun Conures, a sulfer crested cockatoo (shes my baby) she doesnt care for the company of other birds so I got her a guinea pig to put near her. She likes to stand on the piggys cage and watch her run around lol
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Tash87 - :lol: Your cockatoo's guinea pig made me laugh. People thought I was nuts when I ended up with a rabbit because the shelter was not going to adopt it out (they know me) and I got a second rabbit so it would not be alone.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Of course you know I got those Budgies so my Ringneck can have a flock......... :lol:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

70lb dog that is 5 stones wow some dog some stone
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Sorry AJ - No stones - he's neutered. :lol: I guess I should say "Sorry, Charlie" - the dog. Although he is 70lbs he is actually one of the smallest dogs I have owned. The largest was a Great Dane x Rottweiler - 120lb or 8 stone. He looked like a huge trim black & tan lab type dog - Benson - origin -> Big Ben of course. He was a fantastic dog! He lived 15yrs which is excellent for such a large dog.
Mary
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Rolling Stones are best.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

:shock: so old. No visual. No visual. No visual.
Mary
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

SkyeBerry wrote:Tash87 - :lol: Your cockatoo's guinea pig made me laugh. People thought I was nuts when I ended up with a rabbit because the shelter was not going to adopt it out (they know me) and I got a second rabbit so it would not be alone.
Yes lol she hates other birds, yells at them to "shut up" everytime they make a peep so I got her the guinea pig to watch. She was a rescue too, her previous owners moved out of state and had no way to take her. Popcorn seems to like her though. She likes unhooking her water bottle and digging through her wood shavings....my house is a zoo
Missie

Post by Missie »

Hey all,

We have in our household, 3 cats, Squeak, Scotty and Flickit
One snake in my daughters room, Pyro
And now my new baby, ring neck called Clyde

With the amount of people on the forum that has other pet birds for companions, it now makes me wonder if i should be getting a companion for him. Can they be happy living on there own?

Missie
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Missie - there are many people that have only one bird. I think happiness is more dependent on the life and attention you provide the bird. My mom's bird gets so jealous that she attacks other birds and would likely kill them. That was one of the reasons she was removed from a multi-bird home and given to my mother. My two parrots are kept separate from the other birds. They are both four years old and are requiring more of their own personal space. I am providing it to them, hoping their friendship will remain. My vet also warned me to be extra careful because they are two different species. Although there are people who have created circumstances where everyone gets along, she has dealt with many horror stories.
Mary
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Tasha87 - does your sun conures make nearly the noise people may have warned you about? Mine does not seem particularly loud. I have not 'met' other sun conures so I am not sure if 'she' is an exception or with so much animal experience - and living in my own zoo - I just accept she is a parrot and is going to make noise. Sometimes louder than at other times
Mary
Annie

Post by Annie »

We have 5 people and 9 animals living here. (Miami)
We have 2 dogs Pippin and KoKo (both 5 years old)- both rescue- one a chihuahua/pug/dashound blend and one a chihuahua that needed both her patellas operated on.
We have 2 cats (Sam and Bunny) (18 years old-low energy) both rescue and one of the cats needed both HER knees operated on TOO!! many years ago.
We recently lost (he flew away by accident) our first IRN that we adopted at age 4 and miss VERY MUCH- Skylar
Our new 7 month old Green INR that we adopted two days ago- name pending
One Crested Gecko- Draco- age 2 years
One Russian Dwarf Hampster- Lulu- 6 months
One Beta fish- Amber - one year
We have a visiting frog named Freddy Mercury from the kids school.

The kids all love our "Zoo"- The bird I am sharing with the entire family- but it is mostly a bonding between my 13 year old son and myself (mom).
Missie

Post by Missie »

:D
Thanks skyeberry with the love Clyde will get in this household then he will have more campaigns than he can handle.
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

SkyeBerry-yes.....my sun conures are LOUD...my husband is about to turn them in to little rainbow colored chicken nuggets lol they were very spooled by the previous owner and never had to be in a cage, slept in a bed with him and now that they are in my home living by my bird rules they can throw quite the tantrum! I am working with them though I seem to be pretty good with problematic birds, I got my cockatoo totally plucked and she was a screaming monster too but now with a few changes shes fully feathered and only squaks once in the morning to let me know shes awake and ready to be let out. But back to my little bright terrors lol they scream on the morning starting about 7-8 and go on till about 11 then they start back up again at 1-2 and they go in the cage for a nap and are quiet till my husband gets home (they love him) and they scream up a storm every time they see him or hear his voice. I play sound effects for them off youtube they are picking those up so hopefully they quiet down a bit. I know sunnys are known for being loud and I dont mind ot sometimes but a little more beeps and whistles wouldnt hurt
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Tasha - Wow! Yep, I guess I am really lucky with my Sunny. Tantrums - yes! But again I am lucky with Sunny. It is more of a squawk or a little grab of my finger - no bite - to let me know that I am obviously doing something unappreciated or in the wrong way. :lol: From what I have read it is normal behaviour for these guys to want to live in your shirt or sleep with you at night; but, I draw the line at a couple hours of cuddling in bed while I read a book or work on the lap top. I have heard of the odd person falling asleep and crushing their bird. :o I would be devastated to say the least. Was wondering if your guys like to be scritched/scratched whichever term you prefer? Sunny seems to have very sensitive blood feathers. He seems to always have one coming in around his head or neck somewhere, but he rarely lets the other bird touch him either. And a cockatoo! You are a glutton for punishment aren't you! I guess if we want to occasionally talk non-ringnecks we should start a thread elsewhere. Or would it be ok to pm you sometime?
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

There is a section for posts on other animals, but with a thread specifically about other animals you have? Don't think you have to worry here. :D
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Well, one less. Persephone passed away last week, unknown cause. No one has any idea how old she was when I adopted her, but the adoption was YEARS ago. So now Hane is my only parrot.

Still have Amadeus (silly SPCA aussie), along with the chickens and my fish tank though. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Melika - I am so so sorry for your loss. The longest I had a pet was 15 years. 'Bensen' was a wonderful dog and losing him was difficult. I have a feeling the loss of one of my parrots is going to be harder. From what I have read in your posts, I am confident you provided Persephone with a wonderful life and the best care.

Mary
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sorry Melika. :cry:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Just to add my condolences as well,
Mrs.Cornbread

Post by Mrs.Cornbread »

We have a small zoo. I actually have a sign above my door that says "City Zoo", lol. Our pets are as follows:
3 cats (a Turkish Van and 2 tabbies)
2 dogs (an 85lb hound mix and an 11lb Chihuahua)
1 house bunny (free roaming in half the house, separate from the hound dog, lol)
2 hamsters (a Syrian and a dwarf)
3 mice
and soon our IRN will get to come home to live with us!
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Congratulations Mrs. Cornbread. Welcome aboard.
Mary
Mrs.Cornbread

Post by Mrs.Cornbread »

Thank you! I tried to post some pictures last night, but it told me the files were too large :-(
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Do snails count? Not on your Nellie they do not have any fingers.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Peter - I can't believe it but you got me on that one.
Mary
SparkleGirl

Post by SparkleGirl »

I have a cat and 2 hamsters!
Proud mommy to: 2 hamsters, Zhu Zhu and Bibbles, 1 big cat, Cleo, and 1 soon to be Indian Ringneck! :D
Bingomaster

What other animals do you have

Post by Bingomaster »

What if you can predict what the other person will do, based on what you feel from that person? I have these strange feelings that seem to be the feelings of others... I can sometimes predict what they will do how they will react in certain situations.

Sometimes, no - most of the times I am depressed by what I feel... What is this? It seems to be getting stronger...
El dia que la mierda tenga algun valor, los pobres naceran sin culo
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

We have 3 dogs (Alsation/Collie mix, Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher mix, Street mutt), 2 cats, 6 IRN's and a 6 month old Congo African Grey with a deformed foot that joined the mayhem about 5 weeks ago.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I used to have a flea circus until l trod on it.