so my birdie is bleeding

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Tyeman

so my birdie is bleeding

Post by Tyeman »

So i just got home and got the birdies out of the cage and one has a couple of broken tail feathers but more importantly is bleeding from the base of his tail on the top side its looks to be coming from the roots of the two mane long tail feathers he's molting and these are fresh feathers... So any one know if these will continue bleeding everytime the get knocked or do i need to pluck them....

Also any thereis on how this could have happened (in a cage) i cant see how a bad landing would affect that part of the tail.. And i really cant see the other irn attacking him because he's usually the boss??
MissK

Re: so my birdie is bleeding

Post by MissK »

Hi. I hope you have resolved this by now.

If you have a new feather that has been damaged while there is still blood in it, you can get the bird bleeding a lot, even to death. You should consult a vet or good breeder IN PERSON for help with this.

If your bird is still bleeding, treat it as an emergency because it well could be one.
-MissK
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

yep i called the vet last night right after posting but there was no way i could make is before they closed... and im not game to pull tail feathers myself so i will be going in there as soon as they open... Think i figured out what happened there was a popped baloon in the garden bed right next to the cage that must have drifted down from the above appartments so im guessing the ballon came floating near the cage and he totally freaked out because thats the kind of bird he is and then if it popped right there wich it looks like it did...He would have totally freaked even more probablly flying himself into injury!!!
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Poor birdie!!! I hope he's doing alright. What has the vet done?
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

the vet pulled out the 2 tail feathers and one wing feather that i didnt notice.... I heard the poor little guy screaming from the lobby for about 5 minutes he pretty much slept the rest of the day took allot of energy out of him..Its a bumma because i have been training recall and this incident seems to have set him back allot.. The other greedy guts has got the recall down though. corners hights and such so im hoping he will just copy..
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Aww, a lot of people are against pulling the feathers, but I had to take my Bobby in to see the Vet in June and he had two removed from his left wing, he'd already broken off one, then bent two more. In the end he had no flight feathers so was a complete lopsided bird. They do grow back quite quick in less than a month he was flying about again. But because they were all out together they irritated him a lot and he barbered them and one has stress line in. However when he was flying, he dropped his two main tail feathers and they grew in perfect. No stress bars or bad spots.

He'll come around, give him some time :)