NEW RINGNECK

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

adil Zaman

NEW RINGNECK

Post by adil Zaman »

Hi 3 days ago I bought a ringneck home approx 5 months old according to the breeder. His name is MITHU and is green. The parrot was up for sale as a tame ringneck.... B4 I bought him I saw the previous owner make MITHU step up onto an hand held perch then from the hand held perch MITHU stepped onto his finger and had his neck scratched by his owner.... As soon as MITHU got home however it seems as he was never tame in the first place .. Go anywhere near his cage and he flapps about in the cage try giving him treats he won't accept from my hands and handling is jst not possible I can't complain to the seller cos it was tame not now though but y?? Somebody pls help its been three days now and he is like u make the slight movement and he starts panicking
InTheAir

Re: NEW RINGNECK

Post by InTheAir »

My birds aren't great with people they don't know either. It takes them time to warm up to them.
I would guess the Mithu is scared by the changes and new people. Try not to scare him. Let him watch you from a distance while you do other things. Also, try putting his favourite treats in his dish and backing off so he can eat them. I find they don't like being stared at.
If he is not used to strangers it might take a few weeks to earn his trust.
Kiki22

Post by Kiki22 »

Birds need time to settle in to a new environment, be patient! It may take even a few weeks until he is comfortable depending on how you are with him.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

sit next to the cage, don't look directly at the bird and eat something. when the bird shows interest in what you are doing. show the bird the food then it offer some and let the bird come to you. I found that a spray of millet is quite effective. the idea is to gain the birds trust. birds are quite intelligent and are capable of telling the different between hands and people. The bird knew the previous owners hands but not yours. I own a Alexandrine parrot and just recently came into the ownership of a IRN. within three days I had the IRN stepping up onto my finger and taking food from my other hand. But he/she is still very nervous. any sudden movement is enough to scare it. this could be a plant moving in the wind to our cat walking past the window. It's time consuming I not talking about 10 to 15 minutes. I talking about hours. you might sit next to the cage for 1 to 2 hours but it doesn't take weeks and the bird should be quite responsive due to it already been use to humans.
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Problem now after two weeks is it's looking more scared iv had him out of his cage and away from his cage and had him stepping up on a handheld perch.... But he steps up then jumps off then I chase him corner him and same again steps up then jumps of think iv scared him more iv started on a bad note have I totally spoilt our relationship
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

you need to think positive and re-evaluate your approach to your bird and your first mistake is to chase the bird. second mistake is to force the bird to do something it doesn't want to do. you need to do clicker training. I have done this and I know it works. first buy a clicker.
next, with your bird in the cage enter the room where your bird is caged and stand as far away from the cage has possible. now approach the cage until the bird become alert or scared, just stand there and wait until the bird relaxes click the clicker and take 2 steps away from the cage. wait 2 to 3 minutes and approach the cage again until the bird become alert or scared but get a little closer. just stand there and wait until the bird relaxes click the clicker and step away from the cage repeat this until you are standing next to the cage. click the clicker and then walk away. wait 20 to 30 minutes and repeat this method, until you can walk up to the cage without the bird becoming scared. (note click the clicker when the bird has relaxed not before)
when you had successfully done this you can start to offer the bird food as I said before a spray of millet works quite well.
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx for ur advise iv took on board wotever uv said. Il go invest in a clicker today... It jst upsets me that I paid extra money for a tame parrot which is now nowhere near tame so frustrating
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx il c how it goes for a few weeks than.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I suggest you contact the breeder and explain the trouble. Ask for some human training so you can learn to approach the bird the way the bird is accustomed to being approached.
-MissK
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

put yourself into the bird position, for 5 months he as been with someone he come to trust. Then he is put with a complete stranger who is chasing him around. how would you feel?
but make him feel comfortable and safe then your on the way to having a companion bird
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

thanx for the clicker advise hey its working wonders, well i think it is lol. i began with putting my hand in the cage mithu flapped about went crazy wen he relaxed i clicked and rewarded him with the removal of my hand from his cage and now after two days of this practise i can now put my hand on his perch next to his feet and he stays calm al the way through infact he will continue to eat whilst my finger is next to his feet, iv not tried touching him yet want to take it nice and easy,,,, have i took the right approach??? he still isnt accepting treats from my hand
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

you need to read my second post again and follow that. the bird need to get use to you before your hand.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I hope you have found the answers over the last few weeks, just sit by his cage and let him see oyu read and eat very soon he will calm down.
AJPeter
Harrysmums

Post by Harrysmums »

Would love to know how you are getting on!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Briefly my bird Billie l found on the grass near my flat in August of last year. she had been put out of the window of my neighbours flat because she attacked his canaries, l took her in and he gave me a cage. Since then l have bought a new cage. I did not want to train Billie using the conventional methods, l felt l wanted to let her choose how we related to each and in the process l picked up a lot of bites you can read more of this in Parrot speak in IRN's Behaviour and training topic Recently Billie became hormonal and now has laid two egs, her second l thought was egg bound and l took her to the vets yesterday but she laid second last night.