Indian ringneck scared and lunges

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

adil Zaman

Indian ringneck scared and lunges

Post by adil Zaman »

Hi I purchased my white ringneck approx 4 months ago at first I didn't know his/her age but after taking a couple of bites from him I assume he/she is approx 5_7 months as the bites did not draw blood or hurt that much . Chitu (parrots name) was not hand reared however from day one iv made efforts to handle him( not aggressively) however when I go to pick him up he flaps about then out of his cage on to the floor and then from the floor steps on to my finger.... And till today this is how it goes he is still scared flaps about then out of the cage onto the floor and from floor steps onto my finger.... Wen on my finger he will allow me to pet and scratch him but I can c the fear in his body language whilst petting/ scratching him he will b calm for let's say 10secs then lunges for 10secs and so on.... And the moment he can he will jump off my hand.... I'm confused what's happening why is he still so scared am I doing something wrong?? Plz help
Skyes_crew

Re: Indian ringneck scared and lunges

Post by Skyes_crew »

Have you ever spent any time just sitting by the cage getting to know your bird? Offering treats? Teaching step up? These are vital steps in getting your bird to trust you. Sounds like your bird isn't quite there with trusting you, so lunges in defense. I'm assuming your bird is also clipped? This makes training to trust without biting a bit more difficult too because in the fight or flight instinct, all he has left is fight so he bites. I would take a step back and stop putting your hand in the cage all together. Offer him a treat to come out on his own. Let him know that your hands are something good, and not just something that invades his cage to force him out uncomfortably. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx for ur response... I hav tried offering treats but again he will not cum anywer near my hand to take the treat on his own will
MissK

Post by MissK »

It may help to offer your treats while the bird is in the cage and you are outside. First establish what he likes, and then offer it by hand. You can let him see you put some in the dish, so he knows you have it, and then go to holding it by the cage. It may take a while. Do not "chase" the bird with the treat. Let him come to you.
-MissK
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Will try that thanx missk
BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, I got my IRN Willow in July , I could not touch her at all I could feed her through the bars ,getting her out of her cage the first day was scary because she was 2 1/2 and her bite hurt but I was finally able to teach her with hand and voice what I wanted her to do , I took my time ate by her cage offered her things I thought she would try. gaining her trust was not a quick process it took months to get where I am now with her . What I did every day was wheel her cage into my bed room and open the door she would come out and little by little she would get closer . I also work with teaching her to step up she would do it for sunflower seeds and now I can sometimes get her to do it just by asking her to . But she does what yours does she jumps off quickly and most times when I get her away from her cage you can see the panic in her eyes. Take your time your bond will happen . She hates it when I wear my blue house coat or my glasses she will go for me every time, I even try to talk to her nope as long as I have them on I cant get near her. She also hates any type of bell, she gets instantly angry so all bells have to be taken off. I love Willow more then any bird I have ever owned , I except she is not a cuddly bird and she will always be a work in progress . Good luck with your baby .
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Brendadup thanx ever so much for ur post obviously u r getting ther with hard work and patience I think it's the patience I lack lol u knw chittu wont take treats from my hand even from inside his cage
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

an important thing i forgot to mention is that as much as chittu is terriffied of me and my hands go near his cage,,, amazingly wen i manage to get him onto his play stand things seem to calm down amazingly i mean i can sence his fear even wen he is on the play stand but he stays alot calm does not jump of it and will allow me to scratch his neck and half heartedly will also take treats from my hand,,,,,,,,, so y differrent attitude towards me wen on the play stand???????? ur advise/suggestions will b appreciated thankyou
BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, I think he feels cornered when he is in his cage ,when he is out I think he feels like he can escape quicker, JMO, I cant mess with Willows toys or perches if she is inside but as long as she is on top I can do what I want. I would find something he really likes and start trying to get him to take them from you , it is just going to take a lot of patience to build his trust. do you have him on a pellet /veg /fruit diet? I found once I got willow on a good diet her whole personality changed she was a lot more friendly. When I got her she had been kept in such a small dark room, the young lady I got her from I know loved her but I think she was an impulse buy for her and she really had no idea how much time and work goes into having a bird like her , she had become afraid of her , when we took her outside to go home she said that was the first time she had been outside :( her cage was a mess . so I guess I was lucky she would take food from me but she doesn't like anyone else ,she will scream her head off if they come near her .
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Brendadup...... And anybody else plz recommend me some good treats ..... Magical treats .... Like he wud get hypnotizedand cum towards me and take it from my hand! Lol
BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

I use sun flower seeds , the only time she gets them is if I want to work on her stepping up or sating on my hand for more them a few seconds. or Nutra Berries get from my pet store , she loves them she gets so excited when she sees the bag.
MissK

Post by MissK »

For Rocky it was Pecan nuts until he met Peanut Butter.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The "magical" treats change regularly for my guys. I keep them in reserve usually for getting them back in the cage. My every day treats are bits of fruit, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. Occasionally I use small bits of crackers, bread/toast, potato crisps, muffin, frosty fruit ice block. The last list are the high value ones that don't get used often because they are high in sugar and/or fat and/or preservatives.

Ellie.
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx all for ur advise/suggestion highly appropriated
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Becareful Ellie of potato crisps they have a very level of salt, and I agree with Sykes-crew, and Brendadup because trust is the most important tool it starts with sitting by the cage and eating a meal, IRN are very sociable they really enjoy sharing meal times with us, opening the cage door, but do not put your hand in until they trust you and even then only for cleaning. I have never used treats to train Billie and yes l have collected a few bites on the way, they are not angels all the time. If they sit on the door of the cage the are better to approach for a step up. watch their body language if they lift a foot as your hand approaches then they will step up onto your hand, if their eyes narrow or the beak opens pull back.
When l first got Billie l read parrot books and an idea was to put peanut butter into a fir cone and give it to them. Billie took one sniff and lunged at my hands she hates the stuff. She hates dried fruit, black/red fruit you can only find what they like by buying up the supermarket and watching what they won't eat but even then their tastes alter. I used to rely on pomerganite seeds, Milliet spray, peapods but now those no longer are tops. I know l give her too much of everything is she felt hunger she might be more reasonable.
AJPeter
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

One thing you can do to find out what he likes best is to put a bunch of stuff in a bowl and see which he eats first. Then the next day offer it again but without the thing he ate first last time. Do that a few times and you get a hierarchy of his favourite things.
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx all
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

adil Zaman wrote:Brendadup...... And anybody else plz recommend me some good treats ..... Magical treats .... Like he wud get hypnotizedand cum towards me and take it from my hand! Lol
for my clicker training i use raisins chopped up peanuts, almonds and big peicies of fruit/veg as a final big reward.. But as you are just starting try big peicies of fruit or peanuts still in the shell.. roasted or the treated birdie ones from the pet store..

Another thing to remember when trying to teach step up is confidence ...if your finger is shaking and ready to retreat as you are asking him to step up they tend to recognize that.. So stay calm and take a few bites then if he still doesnt step up camly move the finger away....If it hurts to much you can always put a sock over your hand and gradually remove it.. I used this method with a few parent raised birds and they ended up just as tame as hand raised..
MissK

Post by MissK »

This is a valuable point - you cannot expect the bird to trust you if you are not providing a rock steady hand for perching.
-MissK
adil Zaman

Post by adil Zaman »

Thanx il keep a steady finger in future.... I'm glad u mentioned it cos I was offering a shaky finger lol