He laid an egg!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Little Buttercup

He laid an egg!!

Post by Little Buttercup »

So finally Coco, my cockatiel laid an egg yesterday to prove to us that he is a female :lol: and we have to stop saying 'HE'.
It was a surprise because everyone kept telling me its a male, 'see how bright orange cheeks he has'. But she was behaving very weird since the warm weather started and I did'nt know what was up. So now her secret is out :) .

But what do I do with the egg? leave it in the cage or take it away? It was laid at the bottom of the cage. And how many more eggs will she lay?

Ash
Melika

Re: He laid an egg!!

Post by Melika »

Congrats on your free 'dna sexing', the only type that can never be wrong. XD

Definitely leave the egg. Wait until she stops clutching and shows no interest in the eggs. If you remove the egg and she wants to lay more, then she will replace it which, if done continually, will deplete her calcium stores. Make sure she has access to cuttlebone and let her do her thing. :)

Some birds will lay one egg in their whole lifetime, some one clutch, and some will lay every year. We cannot predict how many she might lay. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Little Buttercup

Re: He laid an egg!!

Post by Little Buttercup »

Thanks Melika for your reply. Should I get a nesting box or just leave it in the cage? Since the warm weather she was going into every dark corner and behind cupboards and hissing at Kiwi, even bullying Kiwi and he runs away which makes me laugh, that a timid cockatiel can bully and peck at a ringneck :lol: And she did'nt want to do her training so I thought give it a break and see when he is interested in training again.

Oh and she would try to chew in between the tiles on floor and any unpainted cement plaster, so I did put a mineral block in that area where she like to chew on.

Ash