IRN toys and treats

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

IRN 98

IRN toys and treats

Post by IRN 98 »

Hi, I'm a new owner to IRN's. About a week ago I bought an untamed IRN that is 5 months old, the dude who sold it to me told me I would never be able to tame this bird but I did it within a couple of hours and found out the bird was quite intelligent. i taught it to step up within just 5 minutes, but now i want to teach him some more tricks and make him some toys. Suggestions would be great and please don't tell me to set out some treats and see which one he goes to because it doesn't work, as soon as i put him down he flys away.
Thanks for any help.
MissK

Re: IRN toys and treats

Post by MissK »

Hi and congratulations. That's pretty exciting.

IRNs will play with almost anything. They like texture. If you use the SEARCH function you will find lots of info.http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17649
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

One of the best tricks to teach a bird is Flight Recall, coming to you when you call him. I like it because it might help if he ever gets out.

very easy to teach. Hold out a treat but have your other handd between him and the treat so he has to step up to get the treat, next time hold your hand furthur out so he has to really stretch out in order to step up. Continue increasing the distance until he has to fly to you to get the treat.

Also, decide a on a command and Stick With It. Each time you offer the treat say the command loudly. (it should be loud because in theory you want to call him from across the house or across a field if he were to escape)

Mix it up a little. Hold the treat up but dont call him. If he flies to you without being called then no treat. This way he associates the command with the reward and not just your body language.

(google flight recall)
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Donovan wrote:One of the best tricks to teach a bird is Flight Recall, coming to you when you call him. I like it because it might help if he ever gets out.

very easy to teach. Hold out a treat but have your other handd between him and the treat so he has to step up to get the treat, next time hold your hand furthur out so he has to really stretch out in order to step up. Continue increasing the distance until he has to fly to you to get the treat.

Also, decide a on a command and Stick With It. Each time you offer the treat say the command loudly. (it should be loud because in theory you want to call him from across the house or across a field if he were to escape)

Mix it up a little. Hold the treat up but dont call him. If he flies to you without being called then no treat. This way he associates the command with the reward and not just your body language.

(google flight recall)
I just love the way you explained this.
i have 2 IRN's they're breeding now, but i want to tame my female after the babies are born, is it possible to do so when they're older?
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Sorry i forgot to ask, what kind of treat do you give them?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Mine responds well to almonds and peanuts, (tiny bits) but i'm trying to find an alternative because those aren't very good for them and they'll spoil his super.

It all boils down to the bird. Whatever makes him want to step up or fly to your other hand
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Oh, and yes, from what I understand training can be achieved with older birds though I have no experience wiith it myself
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan wrote:Mine responds well to almonds and peanuts, (tiny bits) but i'm trying to find an alternative because those aren't very good for them and they'll spoil his super.

Have you tried oat groats? I use them quite a lot for training.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

lol I am still new to birds.. I have no idea what oat groats even are...

I've been meaning to look up some of the stuff I see people on the forum talking about that they feed their birds.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

They are just whole oats, not crushed. Organic food stores usually stock them. Our bird lives them cooked or raw.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

InTheAir wrote:

Have you tried oat groats? I use them quite a lot for training.

I have checked my local grocery stores for oat groats. No one has heard of them haha.. Where do you find them? Where you get oatmeal and cereal?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I get them from the organic food/health food store. Normal food stores probably won't stock them.