Scarey experience

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Scarey experience

Post by InTheAir »

I had a big fright yesterday.
When I was packing up at Daves workshop I put him in his travel cage but didn't latch the door (probably didn't close it very much either) and turned around to get the toys and dishes I wanted to take home. When I turned back to him he was on top of the travel cage considering his flying options. I think he was planning to fly to Dave at the other end of the workshop (Nila is pretty expressive), but I wasn't going to risk whether he'd make a safe landing or get frightened on the way! I told him he was a good boy, asked him to step up, put my other hand over him and returned him to the cage. I'm so glad he's used to having a hand hovering over his back to signify stay!
He will usually wait in the cage so I've gotten a bit too casual with doors! I am going to be way more careful in future.
Skyes_crew

Re: Scarey experience

Post by Skyes_crew »

I would have had a mini heart attack. Thank goodness you were able to stay calm.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I did that after he was safely in his cage.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, live and learn. I'm glad it ended well!
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Scary. Do a similar thing with Hane too. Either put a thumb on his foot to let him know he's safe or cup my hand over his back. You did well teaching these things early. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Whew thats scary glad it turned out well for you ! :shock:
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I had another scare the other day. One of my friends came over early, before the birds were up and joined me outside for a coffee and cigarette. When he came inside he left the sliding door open, we have a curtain covering it, so I didn't notice. We let the birds out and Sapphire flew off to play peekaboo behind the curtain. After she got bored of that game she came to harass me in the kitchen and I noticed the curtain moving in the breeze... The door wide open and Sapphire had been playing directly in front of the door!

Moral of the story: Never trust your visitors are as aware about doors and flighted birds! Last time my friend was over I had mentioned to him the importance of closing doors, but I guess it didn't really sink in.

I'm so lucky my wee girl decided it's more fun to play in the kitchen than explore out the back door!
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Had a similar thing the other day with mr bell. I had just brought him in from outside and I left the back door open without containing him, I just wasn't thinking and when I left the room he followed me, I was stepping outside and he came with me. Luckily he realized something wasn't right and he fluttered around at the threshold and went back to the room. He goes in and out that door all the time but he's always being carried in a cage. Hopefully if he ever does get out the back door he'll easily be coaxed to the outdoor cage.

I'm liking this idea of teaching the bird a "stay" gesture. With neko I can already touch and hold him so I think I can train him to be grabbed. I can have him step up on my thumb and cup my hand around his body. I think I should start focusing on that as it could prove to be important later.
MissK

Post by MissK »

A "go home" command would be nice, if you can get it. I bet you can.
-MissK