My IRN's Love Whistling

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

deHens

My IRN's Love Whistling

Post by deHens »

Hey all,

I was on the computer and started whistling, now my birds are only around 3 days new to my house. They are 18 months old, female and yellow. They are usually quite timid (because their new) and they can be quite scared. But when I was sitting next to them whistling they seemed much more relaxed and were both looking at me with curiosity. They are very cute and really liked it when I was whistling.

Does your birds like it as well?
Does it calm them or anything?

Just curious if its just mine or everyones.

Also when I was whistling and making sound one of them was moving their jaws and beak around, as if they were trying to make a noise but couldn't. Just respond if you know anything about this, maybe they are mute or something.

Just respond if you have anything to say/ask.

Cheers,
- Jack
Mia!
SunniDai

Re: My IRN's Love Whistling

Post by SunniDai »

My three fids like anything musical. Huge jazz fans :). Also, I play the piano and they will quiet right down when I play the piano. Oscar seems to be a huge Beethoven fan.
Dana
~Dana

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

My IRN like whistling :) He makes noises in response to it. And now he's even imitating :)

Both our birds love piano. Classical music in general, but when piano concertos come on the radio they are particulary at ease and happy :)
deHens

Post by deHens »

Thats good, I was always thinking of putting my bord on the piano and playing her some tunes while i practise or something.

Do you think my bird can whistle though?
Mia!
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I have found that Ringnecks are fantastic imitators. In fact, we have quite a few wild birds who come to our yard (I think they are curious about the three poor souls "stuck" in that huge aviary in the front yard) and if you listen closely, you can hear that there are beginning to be similarities between the way our fids sound and the way the wild birds sound. Sunni, our youngest, says "whatareyoudoing?" (that quickly and run together), and I cold swear I heard a bird up in a tree yesterday making that sound :lol:
When they are heading off to dreamland seems to be the best time for them to pick up new sounds and phrases and whistles. Just keep repeating what you want to hear your fid do and it will more than likely happen.
Dana
~Dana

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

Your bird will probably pick up simple whistled tunes quite quickly, our Nele learnt to wolfwhistle from the breeder when he was young. He can also do squeaky door hinge noises, every local wild bird including a very good kookaburra impression and the neighbours dog barking, and some talking.
Let us know what your girl thinks of the piano. Nele likes sitting on my boyfriend while he plays guitar, especially the electric one.

Dana, that's very cool the wild birds are learning your birds call. When I lived in new Zealand a tui used to hang out by our house and make the sound of a phone ringing at the end of it's call. It got us dashing towards the phone regularly!

Claire