My IRN is losing feathers

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

o.sultan

My IRN is losing feathers

Post by o.sultan »

Hi there . I just joined the forum as i am facing a problem with my IRN. Last year my beautiful ringneck pair gave some little ones. They were all great and growing healthy until few month ago. One of them started to lose his feathers on his tummy and the tail feathers. He's still left with the fluffy feather on his tummy but no sign of tail feathers growing at all. He still have his wings and head feathers.

Last week his Bro/Sis started to do the same thing. He/She started to lose the feathers on the neck and on the tummy. I am really worried as I am not sure what it is ?

Can anyone help please. I am not sure how to attach a photo here.

Thank you
clawnz

Re: My IRN is losing feathers

Post by clawnz »

o.sultan wrote:Hi there . I just joined the forum as i am facing a problem with my IRN. Last year my beautiful ringneck pair gave some little ones. They were all great and growing healthy until few month ago. One of them started to lose his feathers on his tummy and the tail feathers. He's still left with the fluffy feather on his tummy but no sign of tail feathers growing at all. He still have his wings and head feathers.

Last week his Bro/Sis started to do the same thing. He/She started to lose the feathers on the neck and on the tummy. I am really worried as I am not sure what it is ?

Can anyone help please. I am not sure how to attach a photo here.

Thank you
Could they be going into their first molt? I am not sure at what age IRN's do this, but guess it should be around 6 to 8 months.
Hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

As for posting pics! You have to of posted so many posts before the forum will let you post.
I am not that well up on these things. But think that is why you cannot post yet.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sounds like they are going through their first big molt. It can be a bit of a shock to see how many feathers they actually lose. They will grow back though :D if you have any concerns you could always take them to the vet for a check up. Always better safe than sorry.

You have to have 10 posts and be a member for 5 days before you can post photos. It's a safety thing to keep spammers away. :) you can email me the photos if you like and I can post them for you. My email is arctic wolf 1975 @ hotmail . Com just type it all together :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

o.sultan

Post by o.sultan »

Thank you both so much for the replies :)

Seems that there is a lot to learn about IRN. To tell you the truth i was really shocked and i never thought that birds do molt .. I actually thought that there is no way out of this weird thing BUT its good to have a forum like this to help :)

Skyes_crew, I will email you a couple of photos and if you can help that would be great.

Thank you again guys :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Photos for o.sultan

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I agree. My birds don't molt like that at all. Good luck at the vet :)

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

This post made my hubby rest easy. He was all upset cuz Quinn went & pulled his/her longest center tail feather out ! :o After reading this post, & upon further inspection we are happy to announce there is a nice new one growing out :mrgreen:
Just takin a break !