tookies behaviour

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lil ems

tookies behaviour

Post by Lil ems »

tookie gets extremely agressive when i (female) try to get him/her out of the cage but absolutely fine when men do it? i am the only female that tookie likes she/he doesnt like any other women but loves all men, is there anything i can do to correct this behaviour so tookies friendly to everyone and is easier for me to get out of the cage without biting really bad? - tookie doesnt bite men at all. any help would be appreciated, i would attatch a photo but wont let me :(
Dean0

Re: tookies behaviour

Post by Dean0 »

Target training, aka clicker training, a tired parrot is a pleasant parrot.
Just another bird brain
Skyes_crew

Re: tookies behaviour

Post by Skyes_crew »

Females can become very cage aggressive. Unfortunately if the bird wasn't socialized with a lot of different people when young she can become attached to one person or one gender. Who cares for the birds needs ie. food water cleaning? On the other hand though, some birds just have their own preferences and there's not much you can do about it. My conure was socialized from a baby with men, women, children, even dogs. She loves everyone. But there is one person that comes to my house that she does not like. She will slam herself against the cage trying to get out and attack her. One time she even had displaced aggression when the girl was at my house and she bit me really hard. It was the only time she had ever bit me. I have to keep her caged now when that one person is at my house. If its not an extreme behavior towards women like flying and attacking, you can work with her to accept treats from other women. But if its an extreme aggression issue where safety is a concern, I would just keep her caged when you female friends are over for a visit. There may be others that can offer some more advice. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D