Dont buy from this woman!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Indie_89

Dont buy from this woman!!

Post by Indie_89 »

So recently we got in contact with a man about buying our first Indian ring neck. we were looking for a hand reared, blue one that was under a year old. we found an ad on birdtrader and he sounded perfect. The guy said that he didn't have any blue ones left so he'll check with his dad that also breeds them. later he got in contact saying he has one and that his daughter would be able to meet us half way to see the bird as they live in Newcastle. we asked him to send us a picture of the bird so he did, we didn't find this email until after we requested another one as the first one went to our junk mail. The second picture went to our inbox and the bird looked in good condition...bright blue,good feathers etc. we decided to meet the daughter and her husband as they were traveling back from Manchester.When they arrived in a van she showed us other birds that were adults in the back and they looked in stunning condition. Apparently they supply pet shops with them etc. They were all in normal house cages, whereas ours was in a small "travel box" as she didn't want him to be rolling around. She came across very friendly and told us we could keep in touch to ask her any questions etc.she also gave us a brand new cage with the bird which is quite nice. When asking questions about "him" she said "he" was male,hand tame, says 5 words (hello, shut up, knew the concept of step up...). Also said that most baby's are born green and turn blue (or yellow) after few weeks/months which is probably bullshit I don't know? When we arrived home we noticed he was afraid which we expected being a new place and new people. We managed to get him in his new cage and soon noticed he wasn't the same blue as in the pictures. He has a blue tinge to his feathers which might indicate he would turn blue (according to the lovely Geordie lass's myth), he also has a few grey tail feathers too. We soon noticed he was not hand tame and didn't speak. So we investigated.......turns out the two pictures they sent us were off Google images!! Also the tail has been cut off which makes me wonder if they'd just had him in the tiny box the whole time. Were not even sure if "he" is 4 months old like they said. Some of his tail feathers are grey at the ends before they've been cut off, not sure whether this is due to being young or whether its because they've lost their color from being snipped. Long story short don't buy a bird off a short Geordie lass of the name Karen Lucas. :|
Indie_89

Re: Dont buy from this woman!!

Post by Indie_89 »

molossus wrote:The world is full of deceitful people. These people do not deserve to operate with the general public. Their faces ought to be placed on posters in every area that they conduct themselves.
Naming and shaming is something I am in full support of. If all of the facts are established then if they fail to make good their commitment I believe these people should be legally stopped from running such business. This will go a long way in cleaning up our hobby ,as in my opinion, these crooks are aplenty and flourishing.
Good on you for naming . at least potential buyers will have one less to contend with.

Totally agree, and i hope potential buyers view this forum before purchasing. Ive learnt my lesson but it'll be better if we can stop people from doing the same. The way were looking at it now is that we've removed this bird from a miserable life and gave it everything it could want so that's a plus. we've only had him since Saturday and last night we let him out to transfer him to his new large cage and i managed to get him to step up onto a stick. its going to be slow progress but hey we'll get there in the end right? and itll be more rewarding.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Sure it would be rewarding for you to see your bird's progress. Try putting her name elsewhere also, maybe like facebook, since everyone may not see this forum.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is there a review spot on bird trader? Give her a bad review. Good for you for getting her name out there. I recently came across breeders just like you're describing. If you can't see the breeders set up and they are selling out of the back of a van, that is a big red flag for me. I just got a new bird today and I toured the breeders facility twice and spoke to him at length before deciding. I got to handle the bird and see how he handled the birds. Unfortunately there are so many dishonest people in the world who are in it for money instead of the love for the birds. Did you contact them about the bird and your concerns?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Indie_89

Post by Indie_89 »

Skyes_crew wrote:Is there a review spot on bird trader? Give her a bad review. Good for you for getting her name out there. I recently came across breeders just like you're describing. If you can't see the breeders set up and they are selling out of the back of a van, that is a big red flag for me. I just got a new bird today and I toured the breeders facility twice and spoke to him at length before deciding. I got to handle the bird and see how he handled the birds. Unfortunately there are so many dishonest people in the world who are in it for money instead of the love for the birds. Did you contact them about the bird and your concerns?

i know, some people just think of it as easy money. It was our fault for not viewing the bird at the breeders facility but it was too far away.we'd been looking for the perfect bird for ages and this one sounded like the perfect one. I haven't contacted them yet, but at the end of the day what would it achieve? i don't know her address or anything. The best we can do is let other people know about her. We're keeping the bird as the way look at it we've gave it a better life than it had. We've had him a week now and hes already taking food out of my hand. Even got him to step up onto a stick when transferring him to the new cage (granted he was semi unconscious after flying into a door) but i still see it as progress.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We all make mistakes. But the great thing is that you are keeping this bird and giving him the second chance he probably desperately needed. I used to think puppy mills were the biggest backyard breeding problem. After some research, I discovered that there is a way bigger problem with birds. People assume that they are easier and cheaper to raise. They raise them by the hundreds in unsanitary overcrowded conditions. Then they sell them to whomever will pay the highest price. The birds wind up having to be rehomed because of ignorant people who want a bird "just like" marnie. Sometimes they see multiple homes before they eventually wind up as biters, pluckers, or dead. It's a sad situation. There is a rescue here in Hawaii on the big island for birds. They are an amazing couple dedicated to providing a sanctuary for unwanted birds.

http://www.parrotsinparadise.com/parrotst.aspx

There has to be more awareness for what goes on with these beautiful creatures. Congrats to you on rescuing that poor bird.

MissK

Post by MissK »

This is part of the reason I always cringe when I read that someone has just got one or two or six IRNs and they don't know much about the species, but they want to start breeding them right away. I want to tell them, "STOP! Think about the BABIES. Where are they going? Who's going to look after them?" It bugs me a lot.

-MissK
-MissK
Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

reading this post has just inspired me to start a face book page for people to come and name and shame bad breeder of irns.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indian-Ri ... ref=stream

i have also posted the link for this site when it asked for a website.
i know that im not very experienced when it comes to irns and i had an ok experience when i got mine, but i figure that it needs to be done somewhere so instead of thinking that there should be one somewhere ill just do it and start one for people anywhere in the world no name breeders that they know are not good breeders and hopefully it will at least be one small step to stopping them.

Cheers
Paul.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Can we also post breeders we recommend? Great idea BTW :)

Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

yea you can post breeders you want to recommend, also people can post to ask for a recommendation or to ask if the breeder they have in mind is any good or not.

i have kind of just started the page when i figured it could be a good idea, i havnt actually put in to much thought about it just yet so if anyone has any suggestions about it i am open to anything that could help.

its a page for everyone who loves these bird, so everyone should have a say in what is good and what is not.

i will also post this as a new topic on its own so that everyone can see it for what it is.

Cheers
Paul