Query RE Indian Ringneck

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

little_lena

Query RE Indian Ringneck

Post by little_lena »

Hi, I have a green indian ringneck parrot who is 27months, extremly talkative and adorable, only recently she has developed a sort of a black beard and a black/red ring almost half way around her neck, we did have her DNA tested and was told she was a girl, but now we are not so sure? It does not matter if she is a girl/boy, but just wanted to know "what are the changes that will tell us otherwise" or is this a girl feature?
2) about amonth ago she has started loosing feathers down her thighs, and it still hasnt grown back, I thought perhaps she is molting, is that correct or do I have to be concerned, she is also eating much less than she used to but is still very active.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome. Thanks
sheyd

Re: Query RE Indian Ringneck

Post by sheyd »

sounds like you have a boy... girls won't get black beards or red rings (the ring joins up under the beak) (: re Moulting- he shouldn't be bald (if that's what you mean)- moulting is a gradual process you'll see little pin feathers sticking up everywhere after they've dumped a whole heap of feathers. Maybe your bird is feather plucking? Does he have enough stimulation- it can be caused by boredom and can be hard to cure once it becomes a habit. If you're concerned about his eating habits I'd advise you to talk to an avian vet -they'd be able to help in that department. Any pics of your bird? We all love pics here :)
little_lena

Post by little_lena »

Hi chocobo
thanks for responding, her eating has improved and she is such a dag, plays all these games with you, talks nineteen to a dozen. Says "come", "where are you", "come on", "Pick a Boo", "pick a wee wee", "What your doing" mimicks my daughters phone ring tone etc. Answers to when you call her. She hasn't learnt any new words for a while. Is there a time when they stop learning? We let her wings grow and she flies around the house and comes and sits on your shoulder. That is proving to be a bit tricky as she cant go out on my shoulder anymore and enjoy the outside.

I am trying to train her to do a few tricks but not very successful yet, am also having a wee bit of a problem uploading her pic as the file is too large, will try and upload soon
MissK

Post by MissK »

Your bird sounds delightful!
Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK