Need some help with names for my 2 new babies

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

beautiful-lady

Need some help with names for my 2 new babies

Post by beautiful-lady »

Hi all
We are picking up our 2 new IRN's 2moro and i have no idea wat to call them ... one is blue and one is grey ... if you have any suggestions it would be great :D
im at a total loss :? how long did it take you guys to pick a name ???
McmillanBirds

Re: Need some help with names for my 2 new babies

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi there

It often takes me a while to name my birds, whether they be pets or breeding birds, they all have names!!!! Some are a little corny, others are more sophisticated but they end up suiting the birds down to the smallest detail.

My latest addition is a 2yr old lutino male that i bought for breeding purposes. I put him in an aviary about 3 weeks ago with some young hopefuls so he can chose who he is interested in, WELL, what a charmer he turned out to be :lol: He flirts with ALL of them, so he ended up with the name Casanova :lol:

My advice is work with the colours, see what there personality is, anything quirky, food preference, it all adds up :)

Regards
Carmen
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I like a lot of the Indian names people use for their birds. Some look up what the colour of their bird is in other languages, find that and use that as their bird's name.

Mine have extremely exotic names (not): Janey & Charlie which we took from the Jane Austen novel Pride and Prejudice.

My pair of blue lovebirds that I had when I was a child were named Wilbur and Charlotte from the book Charlotte's web because Wilbur was the runt of the litter (similar to the character in the book).

Ellie.
beautiful-lady

Post by beautiful-lady »

Thanks heaps Carmen and Ellie :-) we have decided on Ash (cause of the colour) for our grey bird and cheeky for our blue bird (cause its cheeky and plays up to the camera and gets angry wen I pay attention to Ash) :-) Ash is such a chilled out bird but does pack a punch of a bite tho :? Cheeky is biting too but not as hard so I'm just slowly talking to them trying to hand feed them :-) so far so good :-) They where in a pet shop for 3 months so I'm just taking slow and just going by their behavior. Oh what does it mean when they drag their beaks across the cage and then back again ???
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi :)

Are Ash and Cheeky doing it on the base of the cage or on the bars? My ringneck, Biscuit, tends to do it on the bottom of the cage because she is being destructive and tearing up the paper or whatever i put on the bottom of the cage. My grans african grey, Hagar, does it on the bars and its almost like he is sharpening his beak. Then i have a cockateil and a quaker, Georgie and Paulie(adoption cases) who tap their beaks either on the base of the cage or on the bars like they are talking to each other in morse code :lol:

If its a sharpening the beak option you could try putting a calcium block or cuttlefish in for them to nibble on.

The other thing it might be is that they want to come out of the cage so they are running their beaks up and down or maybe even they have an itchy spot near the beak and it relieves it to some degree.

Hope this helps

Carmen
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

My IRNs are Lucce (lutino m) and Amore (blue f) and my Senegal is named Talouse although I think she thinks her name is "baby".

Amore's name is well suited for her when it comes to her love for Lucce although it is sometimes less suitable when it comes to her interactions with humans as she is not sweet with everyone.

Talouse came with her name and it suits her well.
beautiful-lady

Post by beautiful-lady »

Hi Carmen :D
Ash is the only one who does it and its on the bars when on the top perch .... i think they want to come out but i havent clipped their wings yet :? so im not loosing them lol
Ill put a cuttlefish in for them and see how that goes ... we also have some tree sticks in their cage for them too and they are constantly scraping their beaks along that ...

Your birds sound cute with the morescode thing lol my hubby (Ricky) is putting together a avairy for outside so they can spend sometime out there :)

Thanks heaps for your ideas and help Carmen and Sixty :D

Seisha
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Seisha :)

They absolutely love chewing things, I am having to replace my bars in the cage atleast once a year and the toys get demolished too :lol:

I have had 2 very close calls with my birds in regards to wing clipping. My first year breeding birds I had a little grey baby, I didn't want to clip his wings because he was going out into the avairy, he was still on formula once a day and I took him out to feed, he had never bothered to fly before, well he took off and flew through the house and out the front door!!! We searched for over 3hrs before spotting him in a tree( I stay on a smallholding and there are tonnes of trees all over), it took another 3hrs to co erse him out of the tree. He wanted to fly down to us but he seemed like he couldnt quite understand how to fly downwards and not upwards. He eventually got the knack of it but it was a very scary experience.
The other close call was Biscuit, her wing had started to grow out but I felt it wasn't yet time to clip and she is a very good bird and absolutely adores attention. I was making something to drink with her on my shoulder and my one cat jumped up onto the counter unexpectedly and she got a fright and took off, she didn't go up but horizontally out the door, with my cat chasing after her!!!! I threw my shoes at the cat to get her to stop and eventually caught up to Biscuit down by our workshops where she had landed on the floor!!! As soon as she saw me she came trotting up to me calling and talking as if to say "Mommy mommy I'm here" and telling me all about what happened.
I am so thankful to get both of my birds back so quickly. I now close the windows and doors just incase something like that were ever to happen again.

I love all of my animals, they are part of my family(even when they are naughty and destuctive).