keeping 2 hand tame IRN's

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

lacey82

keeping 2 hand tame IRN's

Post by lacey82 »

Hi

this may of been addressed in an earlier post, but I couldnt find any info...

anyway, I have 1 hand tame male, aged about 5 months and I have been lucky enough to be offered a hand tame violet baby that will be ready in about 3 weeks...

now, the violet is a male too.. so there wont be any sexy breeding time flirting... but has anyone got any experience with 2 irn's in the same home? I know I have to keep them in their own cages, and introduce them slowly... but will they bond with each other, even in they are in different cages or because they are hand reared do they not find other birds so interesting....

anyway, sorry for the rant

any help would be appreciated!! :D
Melika

Re: keeping 2 hand tame IRN's

Post by Melika »

We had two brothers from the same clutch and had no problems keeping them attached to people. In fact, they fought a little with one another and never preened one another. They mostly fought over food.

They lived in separate cages in separate rooms. They usually were out daily with one another sharing the same stands. They always got individual time with people. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lacey82

Post by lacey82 »

Hi Melika!! :D

thankyou for your reply.. any experience any one has is helpful!!

Im only a little worried because my little lutino isnt bonded to me yet (as I didnt handraise him)

Ive got the cages set up in seperate rooms, so atleast I know that is a good idea!! :D

weeeeee, Im so excited to add to my family of hairy and scaly and feathery family!!
jhebert9

Post by jhebert9 »

Glad I found this, I was wondering , too! Thanks.
Darwin, Turquoise Chick
skibum

Post by skibum »

Hi
We have a 3 year-old female green called Spud and have just got a 3 month old baby albino that we are THINKING is male, but not really fussed either way. Still working on a name - Loki suits, but we are heading towards Floyd.
Anyway, a bit off topic that bit, but I found this - now old - post regarding keeping two. At the moment we have a BIG new cage with the plan being eventually (possibly) putting them both in there, but at the moment Floyd has been given the smaller older cage and Spud has the big one. Both cages are right next to each other and, although Spud has been a little bossy at times, they are actually getting on OK.
Question is, are we better to keep them in separate rooms as suggested, or are they OK next to each other with separate cages?
When we are home they are both out of the cages anyway..........and act like little kids when one gets something the other has to go over and have it even if they have the same thing!
If there is a similar, more recent post regarding this, then I'll track that down as well.
Thanks
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. Please get me up to speed here?

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
adamsfamily531

Post by adamsfamily531 »

I'm curious about this as well-- but a little bit different... I have an IRN and a budgie. They are in cages right next to each other, but I'm afraid to introduce them to each other because the IRN is so much bigger than the budgie, and the budgie has an attitude to boot! They are both young, the budgie being around 8 months, and the IRN just turned 1 on the 16th. Sigh. These birds.
~~Rachael~~
MissK

Post by MissK »

Bst wishes

-MissK
-MissK