Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Galah

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

smick

Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Galah

Post by smick »

I have a male Major Mitchell and a male Galah that have been together for about ten years,given to me and both were ex wires birds (wild birds that were hurt). Both birds were car hit victoms and cannot fly. The problems is they have paired up like a couple and i would like to find correct partners for them, i read somewhere that cockie odd couples can still be hard to brake up with their pair bond. Is it too late for them to try new partners exspecially for the Major who acts like a devoted cock bird to the Galah with no sign of aggression only displaying and some nest box working. They are in a large avairy with a few other odd birds (holding avairy) 4m square. They are showing no aggression to the other birds! But they doing a good job of destroying(chewing) all the boxes.
DeeDeeLutino

Re: Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Galah

Post by DeeDeeLutino »

Hi, I don't know much about toos :shock: but I do not understand what would you want to do do that, you said they have been together for 10 years and basically love each other, if they are not being agressive I think a separation would be fatal for both.
Please don't do it.
lene1949

Re: Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Galah

Post by lene1949 »

Yes, they are a bonded pair, even though they're both male.... I have 2 females a shortbilled Corella and a Galah, who have also bonded to each other.