What is the longest you were away from you bird?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

adreane

Re: What is the longest you were away from you bird?

Post by adreane »

I would like to know the same thing. I am leaving next weekend on vacation and going to be gone for 2 weeks....yikes. I have a good friend that is going to come tob my house every day to take care of my kitty and spend time with Turkey. Turkey seems to be content just sitting in her cage and she doesn't seem to really crave attention that much so I hope she does alright. I think I am going to call my vet to have it lined up for my friend to take her there if she starts getting stressed. I have had another bird in the past that I have left for a week and it did fine.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Last fall I left my birds for 4 days when I went to a conference and they did just fine. I was really nervous even to leave for 4 days they were just fine and when I came back I could tell they were happy to see me.

Just make sure they have someone to look after them, and if possible, give them time out of their cage. Do you have any ways of entertaining them while you are gone? Maybe have your house sitter put on some movies for them, throughout the day, if they'll be alone in an empty house. Keeping them at home definitely helps. Moving them to a friend's house while you're gone shouldn't be a big deal, but it can cause them stress, depending on how your bird reacts to new environments and situations, so if they will be boarding somewhere, you might want to work with them on being comfortable in new places before actually leaving on your trip.

Hope that helps.....it is always scary to leave for vacation the first time, but when you get home, your bird will be waiting for you and as happy as ever to see you :)

This cute video helped me a lot.....a ringneck being all excited when his favorite person came home after being gone for 3 weeks: http://youtu.be/inSkncWE8f4
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

The longest I have been away would have been a week. My birds seemed to be ok with me when I got back.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Ariahna wrote:Thank you both for the feedback. That video was so touching. My bird and I have not really formed a strong bond yet but I have only had him three weeks. Hopefully when I leave in three months it will be better and he will be okay. Thanks again.
That's plenty of time to bond, he will be just fine when you get back! Just go and enjoy your trip :)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I left my jibby back in 2004 for 1 year, I got a job interstate and could not take him. I missed him very much! :cry: He was very happy to see me and the bond was not broken. :D I am sure you going on holiday will be no problem as long as hes in good care. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year