Teaching step-up to scared Buddy

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Teaching step-up to scared Buddy

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Topaz/Yall :

Sorry it took me a bit to get it posted for you Topaz. He was a 'pretty cage bird' when sue and I got him. Always with flight, without interaction.

So, in the video he is very clumsy because he is getting used to being clipped, scared because he was never handled and learning what 'step-up' means. Not to mention, in a new home.

He is a lot better now and I will try to get more video to you really soon!

He was a scared, fluttery little baby... now he is starting to chill and realize he doesnt have to flap to get onto my finger (getting used to being clipped).

Hope this helps! Just got to let them come around... he likes to please, bless his clumsy little heart.

He still 'fans' when on my finger but doesnt flap like he needs his wings to stay up like he did.

Feel free to view all of the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... heRingneck
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Progress

Post by Bird crazy »

That is really great. He has made progress. And just as pretty as ever.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Thanks for that Mik. I have tried all that, but Sapphire still manages to get away from me by fluttering furiously - I will try and get video to show you all - a bit hard as half the time I am down on the floor trying to get near him!!

We managed once to use the small perch, but since then all hell breaks loose and I still have to use a towel over his head to get him back in the cage.
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Good Boy! Progress! :D Well done.

Yoda will step up calmly but as soon as Ive got him he flys away. He watches very curiously when I handle Gilbert though. I see the cogs turning in his head!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thats why I keep my birds clipped :lol:

Havent the time to chase a bird!

He is so precious... I'll get video of him stepping up more gracefully as soon as possible. :D

I deleted your double post, I hate when I double post and moderators leave me looking stupid. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx Mik,

Yoda is clipped but is a very strong flyer. :roll:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have heard of that!

Clipped birds, with flight still. Really weird huh and just your luck!

Are his eight to ten primaries cut upwards to his secondaries?

Thats how I trim mine and they dont go anywhere but leaves them with a nice flutter to the floor.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep 5 on each side cut upwards!.. The first few weeks he would flutter to the floor, a month later.. hes chasing unclipped Gilbert around, (flying just as good as him) and landing ontop of the blinds where I hate having Yoda, Gilbert is fine up there but Yoda has got an obsession with chewing the ceiling! So I have to climb up there and get him off. Im renting and they dont know about the birds shhhhh! They are going to have to replace the flyscreens aswell... Im in trouble. :(
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Reading with interest everyone's thoughts on wings - I have had Sapphire done - but if I want to do one of the others, has anyone got a good illustration of how exactly to do it? Mik you mention going upwards towards the secondary feathers does that help for them not to fly at all? I have trouble with Sapphire as it still flies from the top of the cage to the floor, large thump thank heavens for carpet on the floor, and flies around on the floor to get away from me - yep we have gone backwards badly!!
Anne
controlled by:
Oh & a hubby
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Keeping your parrot's wing's properly trimmed is an essential part of owning a parrot. Not only does it aid in keeping you, the owner, as the dominant member of the bird-human relationship, it is very important for the safety of your pet. The vast majority of "lost bird" reports come from people who claim to never have clipped their bird's wings, or to have "forgotten" to do this. Even birds who owners claim "never even attempt to fly" are prone to a startle reflex when suddenly frightened. In this case even a handraised bird's instincts tell then to attempt to fly off. If the bird's wings are clipped, the parrot will flutter harmlessly to the ground - if not, this act of owner negligence could result in the loss of a bird.

Even birds who never go outside benefit from clipped wings. A fully flighted bird in the house is much more prone to wing, head and leg injuries resulting from crashes into doors, walls, ceiling fans, windows, mirrors, etc. Sometimes these injuries could prove fatal! Further, a clipped bird is more likely to act dominant to its owner, since it knows it can fly away to a high, "superior" spot if it needs to assert itself.

For those feeling pity for stripping our feathered companions of their unique and beautiful flying ability, fear not. Any bird will learn very quickly to get what it wants using their two wonderfully adapted feet and that marvelous hooked beak (if you don't believe me. Think about it this way, in the wild, birds fly (expending lots of time and energy) to find food, shelter, safety, things to play with, places to bathe, and companionship. In a proper human-parrot home, all of these things are provided in abundance. If let out of the cage often, and offered plenty of opportunity and variety of food, playthings and companionship, a pet bird with clipped wings will be perfectly content and will never attempt to fly (unless startled).

There are a few different styles of feather clipping. This one mentioned above is the ONLY one I recommend. With that clip... you aint gonna get no flight.

They were designed more for aesthetics and can provide a true false sense of security. The first is called a Window Clip. This means that the two outermost flight feathers on both wings are left uncut, and the next 8 or so are cut. It gives a bird a more "wild" appearance. However many birds, especially aerodynamic types like Conures, Macaws, Parakeets and Cockatiels, can still fly with this cut!

The next common style is the Single Wing Trim. This is a full cut of only one wing. With this trim, birds can get lift and propulsion on only one side. As a result some birds may fly in circles, which could result in severe injury.

Another common trim is an Every Other Feather trim. In this case, every other flight feather is cut or shaved. This gives the bird a totally wild look, but in many cases does not restrict their flying ability, as a result it can be very dangerous!

The wing trim recommended is the Bilateral Wing Trim. With this style, the first 8-10 primary flight feathers on both wings are trimmed to the point of the dorsal major primary coveret feathers. Trimming from the back of the bird, towards the head. This is a safe cut because you will not hit a blood feather if done correctly.

The feathers we are most concerned with when trimming a bird's wings are the Primary Flight Feathers and the Secondary Flight Feathers. The Primary Flight Feathers are the long feathers at the outermost portion of a bird's wing. The provide provide forward propulsion. The Secondary Flight Feathers are those feathers between the Primaries and the bird's body. They provide lift.

When we trim the first 8-10 flight feathers ( on some parrots, like African Grays, only cut the first 6 flight feathers), we are cutting away the primaries. This takes away the bird's forward flight propulsion. Without this, the "lift" part of the flight system is fairly useless. So, if the bird tries to fly away, he will flutter safely to the ground, without falling too hard.

When trimming your bird's wings always aim the scissors away from the bird's body. Otherwise, serious injury could result. Also, be sure to have someone competent holding the bird. You could easily get bit or even strangle your bird if your holder is not careful.

When you cut your bird's primary flight feathers, use the dorsal major primary coverts as a type of "dotted line" guide. These are the smaller feathers just above (towards the bird's head and wrist) the primary flights. If you cut just below (towards the tail) these feathers, you should never accidentally cut an immature or "blood" feather, which could result in pain and bleeding. Normally, the part of the feather sticking beyond the coverts is mature and without blood supply.

Clipping the wings in this manner can be as painless as cutting hair. Usually, the bird has more objection to the restraint involved than the actual wing trimming.

As shown in the diagram, when the wing is fully extended, we can see the area cut. However, once the wing is pulled back into a folded position, the cut portion folds under the secondary flight feathers and cannot be seen.

NOTE: If you accidentally cause your bird to bleed during a grooming procedure, do not panic! Bleeding can be stopped by using a styptic powder (i.e. "Kwik-Stop") or even regular baking flour, in a pinch.
Last edited by Mikaela on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Topaz

Post by Topaz »

That's fantastic - thx Mik.
Anne
controlled by:
Oh & a hubby
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Anytime hun

:D
~ Mikaela Sky

sakib

Post by sakib »

lol i was only just thinking hmmmm maybe i should ask the board on how wings should be clipped and then i came across this post lol
It doesn't matter what brings a person its what they leave with that counts
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:D
~ Mikaela Sky