Nila has a brother/sister

Moderator: Mods

Bird crazy

Nila has a brother/sister

Post by Bird crazy »

Finally went to the pet store and got the poor little grey IRN that's been there for a few months. I have pics of him when he first came to the store and you wouldn't believe how bad he looks now.
All ragged feathers, broken tail feathers and chewed up feathers and he looks to me like he lost weight.
Anyway couldn't stand to see him suffer any longer and bought him and got him home tonight. He's actually trying to decide if he wants to get to the food tonight. He's been hanging on the side of the cage since I put him in there at the pet store.
It was already after dark, but Nila had a look at him and then went to bed. Didn't make a peep. I thought he'd start calling right away. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Good for him! He finally has a home that will care for him. Get those pics up ASAP!

Dani
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Well done on bringing him into a safe loving home. Poor little boy, shame on the pet store for letting him get that way. I hope you will all live happily ever after together.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

:wink:

WOOOHOOO <3
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You saved the gray Sue?

Looking to place or keep?

Either way, very happy for you!

Im stuck on a gray, my man on a blue. Grrr.

Good thing we cant pick our kids out. My lord, I'd stand there in a daze for yrs.
~ Mikaela Sky

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Congratulations!! (lots of excited twittering in the backgound may be faintly audible)
MCS
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

woohoo! *jumping up and down* can't wait to hear more! And see pic's!!!
Bird crazy

Nila's new brother/sister

Post by Bird crazy »

This is the grey today
I'll post the pic of the grey I took when he arrived at this store.
Sue and Nila
Sue
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

this was the baby grey when he arrived at the pet store.
Sue
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

This is an amazing little ringneck. S/he came right out of the cage this morning, has a poor grip because housed without much perching space due to the other 2 birds bullying her. S/he dove right into the fresh fruit/veggies and grains, remarkable since she was on an all seed diet. Put her on Nila's play gym and she ran to the top and dove into the water dish and took a bath. She then bullied Nila right off the thing and began playing with the toys. Yet she easily steps up for me anytime I ask and even steps right up for my brother in law who is visiting.
After watching her and Nila (nila is dna sexed a boy) Nila displayed typical male behavior and she did the crouch female thing, Even though she was not afraid to dominate him on the play gym. He is fascinated with her.
She not so much with him, but has had to fight the two other birds in the cage with her for food and play and perch.

Mik: Yes I would re-home her if someone reputable wanted her. I'm going to make an appointment at the vet asap. If you'd like to come see her let me know.

Sue and Nila
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

There's that little dolly! Oh I love her!! Look how cute her and Nila look together!! :lol:
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

sue your new baby is BEAUTUFUL!

I am glad to hear that Nila thinks so too :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Now Im sitting here like, damn.

Thats the color Im looking for sue but I aint mad at ya *pinches your cheek*

You told me to go get him and I didnt listen.

I hate me. :cry:

Looks to be male too (that dork look Baby gets like doh and shows in his beak) which really makes me want to claw your eyes out OPPS, I meant makes me really happy for you!

~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Yep also in person looks like he's starting to get a ring right by his chin or beak. A little black on both sides. Really makes me wonder how old he was when they got him.
Bird crazy

New cage

Post by Bird crazy »

The grey is a really big bird too. A lot larger than Nila. Sorry Mik, if you had just emailed me last night that you wanted him I'd have gladly let you have him but not now. He's way to cute, too sweet and Nila is in love. And today got a new cage that will house both of them. I'm convinced seeing Nila and the grey together that she's a she. I'll have her dna sexed.
My brother in law who is visiting surprised the heck out of me. We went to the aviary of Naples (sonehow missed Missi, she was there too today). I saw the cage It's for a breeding pair, has a removable divider and a place to attach a nest box. It's very large, larger than 2 of Nila's cages. I was so excited when I saw it and then the price was so high I just walked away to dream and look at the toys and my brother in law purchased the cage for me. :D I about fell on the floor. Anyway they have been introduced to it. Nila tried to run away the grey crawled up and in and out and began playing right away. I fed them together on the play top and they got along great.

I'm in love with both these little ringnecks now. And I'm so excited to see how they develop in their relationship.
Also the grey took a bath today and the tail feathers that were all ragged and curled up are now smooth and flat :D She's looking better already and is a little piggy for fresh veggies/food.
Oh I could go on and on. But I won't.

Sue and Nila
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

*does a happy dance*

Please DO go on and on!!! I love this happy ending (yet it is so NOT the ending :lol: )!
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Hi Sue...Missi took the words right out of my mouth *cheeky thing*

please do go on and on and on and....it is wonderful to hear you so happy and to know that are some happy endings :D

mik...this grey is not a baby and look how ell this is working out :wink: maybe a trip to G-ville??

Post by Guest »

please do go on and on and on and....it is wonderful to hear you so happy and to know that are some happy endings :D

mik...this grey is not a baby and look how ell this is working out :wink: maybe a trip to G-ville??

Post by Guest »

mik...this grey is not a baby and look how well this is working out :wink: maybe a trip to G-ville??
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

:evil: guess...first three don't count.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Well, I really want a baby and they are impossible to come by this time of year, gotta wait only a feeeeeew more months.

By Feb, I should be able to get a baby. How old is that gray? A bit over 6 months?

He is SO precious !!!
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

:lol: I am rather cheeky! Y'all know me so well :wink:
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

yeah Missi--we love cheeky :lol:

Mik, I don't know why I had not though of this, I guess I did not really think you were looking....and 6 months may be older than you want, but, the aviary I got Izzie and Mila from has a blue and a gray about 6months old...they may have been sexed, not sure. He also has an albino.

Super nice guy, really loves his fids so they are great little hand raised babies. I am happy to put you or anyone else in touch if this is of interest. There may even be pic's up on the web site. If you google peekabooparrots you should get the site--it is in Gainesville/archer.
the MBS carrier, though not the only one!!! kim
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

http://home.att.net/~t.oser/wsb/html/vi ... 42138.html

did not find a pic of the gray but here is the blue
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Neat web site, I looked at all the pics and the birds are beautiful. The derbyan is really striking.
Missi cheeky, yeah and
Mik:
get ready because in spring just the right little grey will come your way, I know it.

Sue and Nila and ????
Sue

Post by Guest »

the B&G on there is Mila! My little Izzie, the green/gray or olive is in one of the pic's too but hard to tll you which bird in the pic...they are both sweeties :D
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Sue have you got a name in mind for that gorgeous little grey yet or are you going to wait for the DNA results to come back?
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Nothing yet, I named Nila (should actually be Neela) the hindu word for blue, would like to find out the hindu word for grey but haven't been successful yet. We have an Indian Grocery store here, I have to call the owner, cause I can't find it on the net. Do you happen to know Hindi?
But I have really been leaning toward Bindi or Byndi, I just like the sound of that name, don't know the significance of it. I also like Rani, hindu for queen. If anyone has a suggestion, I want it to be easy for a bird to say.

Sue and Nila and ???
Sue
Donna

Post by Donna »

Sue Congrats!!! on the new birdie!!! Hope things are going well with Nila and him. More pics soon I hope.

Donna
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

At 6 months, they still have that 'Baby' look.

*ponders and saves this post*
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik they loose that baby look after that first moult...that's not for another few months or so.

You don't need to start out with a pinned baby Mik...there are plently of birds that need homes.

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Its a 30 yr comittment and I have enough on my plate with 4 teenage boys, except for Jared 6, than to take on a maniac ringneck. One with more problems that people have created than I could ever take the time to fix.

I dont have it in me. I want to know what who how and why when it comes to something I have to look at for 30 yrs, dont want someone elses 'problem'. If I have learned anything from rescuing, its that a free bird is a pain in the **** bird. Nothing worth anything is FREE TO GOOD HOME. Thats another way of saying 'Either someone comes to get this damn thing or Im opening the gate'. Im sure there are exceptions but very few. (Punkin)

I have done enough rescuing. I have taken and placed 4 birds in the past year. I feel plenty good about that matter.

I cant save the world but my punishment isnt to be that I should feel ashamed for buying babies. Especially when dealing with a new ringneck, why wouldnt anyone want a clean slate? Common sense to me.

NO interest in adopting a ringneck. :wink:
Last edited by Mikaela on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

You're right Mik, a new baby is such an easier committment because you have time to bond and fall in love before they hit the terrible twos and raging hormones so it's easier to handle cause you have a strong bond already.

That's ok hun. :)

Go for the baby if that's what you want, it will for sure get a good home and won't need someone to rescue it when it gets to be 2 yrs old. :D

And just think of the good breeders who are looking for good homes for their babies. You'll be a good breeders dream come true.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thats what I thought when I posted sue lol.

I am 'adopting' 'saving' because when they are no longer cute and have been mistreated and ignored for being their very essence, people want to pass them.

No thanks, I dont do used cars for this very reason.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik, your post made me incrediably sad. I look over at my Aggie and I think about my Bodi...think of these two great birds who were just given a chance to blossom. Aggie would have been sent away to the pound where she probably would have been killed right on the spot. Bodi was neglected and malnutrioned.

I take pride in the fact that I helped these two. I took both in without really knowing how they'd act; I was willing for it to take years for them to fully accept me. I never cared if they were ever 'nice' birds, they have a home with me, biters or not.

There is just something indescribably sad about knowing someone who'd look at a parrot who is need of a home and say no, that they'd rather have a baby bird. This country is so close to starting to euthanize parrots because the populations are way too big.

They aren't used cars...just used birds who need a loving heart to help them.

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

So totally agreed. :cry:

Save a bird

Post by Guest »

Dani
I agree with you lots of birds need a chance, but if you are not the person to help one better to know that going in instead of taking an adult bird and then losing your temper with it or not handling it because you're afraid of it. And then eventually admitting defeat and finding it yet another home.
Better to let someone like yourself who has the ability to do so. Neither one is wrong, just better to know thyself and go with your strong points.

On the bright side my Grey went to the vet today, looked ok to the vet, but couldn't get him microchipped, vet tried twice but not enough breast tissue to insert one. He weighs 127gms, last time Nila only weighed 100 gms. He's definitely bigger, but seems to have a lot of weight lower in the body around the belly. Had labs drawn along with a dna test will get results next week. The grey sleeps a lot, I'm hoping he's just recovering from the months in the pet store. His leg band indicated he was born this year in Fla. He is still eating like a little piggy and no seeds at all. Fresh food and pellets and nutri berries, he seems content and remains a sweet little thing.

The one office woman at the vet had her 60, I repeat 60 year old amazon in to have nails and wings clipped today and he was staying there with her for the day. He talked and seemed content. Still a good looking bird. :D
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

that was me forgot to log in

sorry :oops:

Sue and Nila and ???
Sue
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Sue, while you have valid points...but if you don't have the patience for a parrot...you ought to not own them at all. Even if you do buy a baby it is still a wild animal that has been forced to be in a cage. Just because you decide to go out and buy it not weaned and wean it yourself is no insurance policy of having a nice baby. Or having that baby stay nice.

We have these very unpredictable animals in our homes. We love them and want only what is best but there are some people who should just not own birds and are better off without them.

Nothing is garuanteed with these animals except that you have to expect the unexpected and you will get bitten.

Mik...please look over the ads that so many people are posting their parrots for sale. So many say that they hand fed these guys (because breeders are most of the time irresopsible) and they still turn out 'wrong'.

Don't get me wrong, babies are cute and will steal your heart. Just remember that they WILL bite the hand that feeds them!

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yall need not fight over what I am getting :lol:

Im getting a baby. I have that right and not an ounce of guilt.

Whats the big deal? Damn.

*puts her hater blockers on*

Dani:

I have had baby ringnecks, placed adult ringnecks, quakers, tiels....

I bought Baby at 5 wks old.
I weened him as he ate me alive.

I adopted Punkin and Peaches along with Peek-a-Boo which died of a heart attack so I think you need to RE-THINK who you are talking too. Didnt just fall off the back of a turnip truck, fairly smart, responsible young lady. And FAR from a newbie.

Numbers show I have adopted and placed MANY birds over the past yr. Everyone here has seen it and knows my numbers. I have done my job in this department.

All of this in less than a yr.

So, if we were working toward some sort of prize for saving every parrot in the world I could still buy a baby and be a top contender. Not many can say that. :wink:

Im sorry Sue, I certainly didnt mean for this to become my thread.

You bought prinny and I dont hate on you for that. You adopted two. Me, countless and kept two of which I intended to place. This isnt a competition and if it were, well, Id still be in the lead. :P

*dips out*
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Ok Ok

Post by Bird crazy »

Not an argument Mik, just a philosophical discussion and if you've ever studied any philosophy you realize for every point there is an opposite and equal point.
No bad fellings at all on my part just putting forth the other side.
You are both good parronts and that's what counts,
Not newborn or rehomed but that the home is the best it could be for the little feathered kids.

I am afraid of the big birds. But I love birds, could look at the big ones all day, unlikely I would ever pick one up because I am afraid of losing my fingers or needing stitches. Because I know this of myself I get smaller birds. My Rowdy, male eclectus, was a baby and so I bonded with him and learned as I went so I wasn't afraid of him. If I did get him back now I would be very uneasy handling him. I wonder if I'd have the courage to do it. Not sure. Because I am a chicken!! big time. I have only held Maccaws at Parrot jungle in Miami and Bush Gardens in tampa had my pic taken with them and loved it and was about peeing my pants the whole time because I was so scared, loved holding them but wanted them off me at the same time. Go figure. At parrot jungle they had hyacinth macaws, huge. It terrified me. But I did get the picture and then whew, they took them back.

So each decides for himself, perhaps the thoughts expressed on both sides will help anybody considering a parrot as a pet to make the right choice for themselves. :)
Sue
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik...number 1 don't get those panties of yours in a wad ;)

Number two...remember I only tell you guys here of the parrots that I have decided to keep, not the ones I help. You've been placing birds you buy for a year, I know this and I applaud that effort. I've been taking in resuces for the past 10 years and rehoming them. I've rescued tiels, budgies, ekkies, amazons, greys, mini macaws, regualr macaws...I think just about everything but toos (I have a deep respect/fear of toos). Thought you'd like to know that little bit of me...:)

Sue, so many people THINK they want a parrot and for all the wrong reasons. If everyone who said they wanted a parrot really did I and all the other rescuers would not be needed and I for one would love that. But this will never happen, not as long as parrots or any bird is seen as a toy/status symbol to people. So many excuses and lies have been told to me for reasons to give a parrot up. I get tired of hearing them but I take in those birds to help and get them to a new home.

This is not fun work, nor does it come cheap. I've spent hundreds on one parrot to get them back to help and ready for a new home, to which there is only a nonimal adoption fee to be sure they are serious.

Yes Mik it is your choice to decide to help a breeder continue to sell unweaned babies to the masses. If that is what you want, a pinned baby, go for it. You aren't ignorant and you've hand fed before. That's not the problem...what is, is that you'd buy FROM the breeder who would allow his chicks to go to a new home unweaned. That is the problem...I know how stupid that sounds.

Remember Mik, that because you are able to get one that young means some ignorant newbie is able to...

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The tone of this thread stinks.

Sorry to have taken your thunder sue, this *was* your thread before 'this'. :?

As Admin, let me get us back on topic.

Your baby does look good and plump sue. Baby is under-weight a bit, always has been and it bothers me but he eats so well.

He is just too playful, I think. He looks healthy but I wish he would filll out on his breast area a bit more.

He is a mean, lean, sexy ringneck machine *vroom vroom* 8)

My avatar is very recent. He look too thin to yall? His vet wants him heavier up top. He isnt a quaker! -giggle-
~ Mikaela Sky

Post by Guest »

I've always thought as irn's being slick and stealth. I think he looks formed enough. Doesn't look a bit underweight to me, then again pics can be decieving. Wait, doesn't the camera ADD weight?? :lol:
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Gosh, that was me :roll: and I was talking about Mr. Baby
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Signing in frustrates ME!

*takes a sledge hammer to the board*

Takes me AT LEAST twice every time. REDICULOUS! :cry:

*looks over at Imran like, 'what'?* :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

There was no hostility coming from the thread...but oh well, guess we can't have a discussion...

Anyways, yes Sue your grey is looking good for being in a pet store for so long. Any chance of a name yet?

Mik, Baby is a little thin...but he never really was fat right? Prinny has been loosing that babyish biggness and is slimming even more. Vet said it was normal.

Dani
goro000009

sue

Post by goro000009 »

sue i will ask my mom what the word for grey is. its goro679 but the website won't le tme log on as me. I dunno why looks ak Mik and begs fix it please lol anyway i would have an answer by 930pm est thats when my mom comes home the baby is beautiful. i stand by mik i know she has a good heart. i kinda miss peekaboo. keep them pics coming im suppose to be getting a blue irn. ( a friend of mine in ny is getting a breedring pair). But i dunno where i gonna be next few yrs. Thinking of going into customs. anywho time to go teach. Talks to u all later.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

That would be great, thanks so much, the man at the Indian Grocery Store couldn't help me.
I found Rani (queen) or Priya (beloved) they both seem easy enough for a bird to learn to say them but I'd still like to hear the word for grey to see if that would work.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you. Is your Mom still in India or is she here in the US with you? India is on my list of places I'd love to visit one of these days. Oh well not this week, I spent to much on a bird and the vet bill according to the hubby.

Thanks again.
Sue