Im getting a Too !!

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Im getting a Too !!

Post by Mikaela »

All I have to do is get rid of my ol man and Boom, one waiting for me.

Hope it works out!
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

:lol: Good luck girl!!

Have you ever been to http://www.mytoos.com? It's a great site!!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik...quit scaring me like that! I swear...you are really nuts for wanting one...

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Help me :(

Is this like a junkie wanting heroin even though it is the LAST thing they need? Has MBS taking away my sense of self-control?

All I see is the beauty, sweetness, antics... all the great stuff. Like when they bob their head and sway. They are SO silly.

PLEASE... anyone that is willing to help me make this crutial decision, PLEASE offer you experiences. Good and bad (bad especially)

What one wants and what one can live with are sometimes 2 very different things... I have a family to think about. If the 'too acts up, I wont for long. :lol:

This is important to me. Once I take on a baby... thats it, done deal, mine forever. My choice and I live with it. SO PLEASE know that when giving your opinion.

Dont hold back. Do I? Ever? :lol:

Speak the truth for I will live with this decision for 30 plus yrs.

*give missi a kissie, well cuz she is hot and runs off to mytoos.com
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik, hun, one word...BEAK!

Their beaks are not like a typical IRNs...or any other bird for that matter. The lower portion has two pointed parts to it so when you get naild it's not just two points that dig into you...it's three...

But they are sweet and cuddly for a little while.

visit http://www.mytoos.com best site for 'bad' info on them

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Oh my... current consensus:

People suck and should be shot for breeding 'toos IF in fact they DO NOT do well in captivity. Still researching.

'Toos are bad for mutilating because of before mentioned.

People have been known to literally snap and kill their own bird because of the noise!

My research is cut out for me.

If you breed 'toos, go suck an egg. :x

Let me put you in a nice federal prison with good food and facilities. It wouldnt be THAT bad but it would be prison, nonetheless. For 90 yrs. I hope someone throws you an awesome toy to pass the time.

All of the stuff I am reading makes a sane person say NO WAY. But, isnt it up to us, as humans, to make their life as pleasant as possible because we did this to them? Am I not responsible for trying to save one?
~ Mikaela Sky

Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

I think its a great idea if you want to rescue one, even over here in Australia where the number of dumped birds is relatively low nearly 80% of the birds you do see in shelters are too's. I would love a RB2 but its never going to happen because I don't think I would be the best owner for one (other fids, kids and furkids to think about). I have the uptmost respect for those who take in neglected and abused birds no matter what the species.
BTW I have heard a cockatoo scream and wow its loud. Like a truck honking in your ear! And that was from the throat of a sweetie pie too!
Good luck whatever you decide.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Mik...take Missies advice-go to mytoos and turn up your volume. Then read the site. If you are still needing convincing tell me and I'll do my best....
Donna

Post by Donna »

Mik Please take it from someone that has cockatoo's Your quiet house hold will be turned upsidedown. I had a moluccan for 7 years he was 13 years old. I rescued him from a bad situation. But for seven years he terrorized the whole house and my 19 year old son was the target of abuse from this bird. He was very hormonal all year around and chased every one in the house that was a male because he thought I was his mate. Cockatoo beaks are different from other large birds they have 2 little points on the lower mandable and when bitten they draw blood. If you adopt one that is older trust me they come with baggage and if you get one from a baby you have to start with the amount of attention it will get it's entire life. You can not start a baby out giving a whole lot then when it gets older expect it to entertain it's self. (not going to happen) They demand your attention 24-7. I know you love your boys and your hubby so think of them and how they would feel having a white piranha chasing them through the house. (Not a pretty picture) Hope this helps
you make the right choice. Donna
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

If you must have a 'too try this first:

Go to a pet store with a 'too. Interact with it for 10 minutes, head bobbing, swaying, etc. Walk away. Come back a week later and do it again. Walk away. Repeat as often as necessary to get your fix. This way you're getting satisfaction, but not the responsibility!
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Lol Matt, didn't you at one stage want a Goffin?
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Yes, well actually my wife did. But then she fell in love with ekkys. So now we're picking up our new baby ekky tonight (see my groupies thread for details).
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*pulls all of her hair out*

This is my dream bird. Its free. My home is harmonic. I couldnt put her in an outdoor aviary? My old man is a pencil pusher but can build ANYTHING.

Or would the noise still be more than one can take.

I did the sound file. Even my animal loving son said, 'NO MAMA... she is beautiful but I have to get my sleep. Dad is going to put you and your birds out if you dont get a grip. I cant believe he has put up with this much. You are becoming the odd cat/bird lady ma... let it go.'

Then I read about this dude, his 'too literally drove him insane enough to walk out there and choke the life out of it!!!!!! :shock:

What I see in a 'too:

The head sway, so awesome. The way they feel. They are much more like doggies. They way they look so deeply into your eyes as if to say 'humans suck but Im willing to trust one more... what choice do I have?'

Matt summed it up for me. Enjoy one at a pet store and walk away. I feel this sense of responsibility! Grrrr.

This baby is 8 yrs old, no behavial problems. It is from a board member that I HIGHLY doubt would mislead me.

Noise, that is my only concern, which sucks because 'toos = ear muffs.
~ Mikaela Sky

Cindy

Mikaela

Post by Cindy »

Mikaela, I understand your wanting a Too...I have ALWAYS wanted one.....UNTIL.....I went to my breeders house and she has 2 goffins...OMG the noise from just one Too is enough to make you run for cover....My breeder has young ones, female 2 years old and male 6 years old...YES, they bite, even being hand tamed, they bite...One day I was playing with her female Kiki. When it was time for me to go, my friend walked me to the door with the Too on her hand...The Too leaned over and bite her right thru her bottom lip...The Too was mad at her for letting me leave...Guess the Too and I had too good of a time together and thought my friend made me leave...She had a swollen bloody lip for a week....That was the last time I thought about owning a Too...Plus, the screaming everyday ALL day and sometimes even at 2 am!.....They love to be out on the playgym...They are VERY possive of who they love...I wouldn't want to see your other babies hurt...Please give this some good thought....I feel if someone wants to own a Too, it should be the only bird in a household...........I DO understand the wanting of more bird babies...Geesh, I have 8 right now! Plus, hubby and I are looking for a Blue baby IRN...Like 2 IRN's are not enough? Nope, not enough.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Mik:

Just two quesions:
If hubby leaves will the Too help pay the mortgage?
And if hubby leaves how will you have that little girl baby you want.
I know the Too can't help with that.

I would love to have lots of birds, and I mean lots. I would love to have an outdoor aviary and a nice communal flock that I could spend several hours in each day tending plants cleaning up and interacting with the birds.
However I also would have to get rid of the hubby and then I wouldn't be able to afford it all. So I settle for one little blue irn and hopefully will talk my husband into at least one more.

Believe me, when I had my 3 parrots my husband was such a nag about the time, attention and money I spent on them that it took a lot of the joy out of it for me. (Almost like the guy who was driven to the point of harming his own bird, I could have harmed my husband for his daily nagging). So think about it seriously. There will always be another bird that needs a home. To be a responsible owner you need to figure out your limits and then live with them. Because if you end up just with tension in the house as a result the bird will know and suffer as a result.

How's that for a lecture. Sorry. Hope it helps. :oops:

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Also....see what 'toos will do to humans? Think of what would happen if the 'too got a hold of Baby or Punkin out of territorialness or jelousy. Not to be grusome, but we need to consider all things. It's so terrible to lose a loved one.
And if you were to keep Baby and Punkin in their cages while the 'too is out, they would suffer. And vice versa.
:(

Post by Guest »

I should also add!!..........

Mik! Did you see that mytoos.com has a message board? Maybe tell the people on there your feelings....maybe the 'too experts can help you as well!

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Gosh darnit, that was me :oops:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*shudders*

Mik...the only two birds I am truly afraid of are male amazons and toos...and that says alot! Aggie does NOT scare me at all...because I can read her. No macaw has ever EVER scared me...no larger bird except those two have ever scared me.

I have interacted with a big M2 and I was happily scratching his head...he whipped around and bit for no reason. Nope...no toos for me. And male zons are just crazy

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I cant save them all.

I have thought about this more than I can even begin to tell you and although my dream bird is a 'too... its simply not going to work.

Matt, I would love to thank you for your wondeful piece of advice, 'Go play with someone elses'. And thats what Im going to do. Play with them and walk away.

I would love to thank ALL of you for your bluntness in describing life with a 'too. I am so very hard-headed. Bit spoiled but once checked myself I realized, what I want is often the very last damn thing I need.

Max... I love you and would love to be your mama but my heart, life and responsibility is to Baby. I made that committment and I am to do right by it.

You'll find another good mama! Youre beautiful! Anyone interested in giving Max a good home, please contact me.

Baby is all the bird a person needs. I have to stop somewhere. In a yr or so, once Baby is *really* trained, mellower and not so jealous (hopefully) I am getting a gray irn.

Then an Amazon and I will be done. Those ekkies are something... havent written them off.

What I know is, what I have going on now is working. No bumps in the road, no complaining from my love bugs so hey... dont rock the boat. A harmonious life is hard enough to come by.

I hope ya'll dont think my heart is too small for Max, its just that my heart is so full now.

Gods will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. This wasnt in the blueprint. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

hey mik...life is hard.

only you know what is right for you ... you got a lot of loving honest feedback to your question and it sounds like you made a decision. i know it was hard for me to leave lucy, the m2 in the rescue near you, but it was the right decision. i know that if it was the right decision for me, it was also the best decision for lucy...same with you and max. max deserves the kind of home that can accomodate the needs of a too'. kudos to you for recognizing that that is not you. you did what was right, not what was easy. *hugs*

*smiles proudly* sweet dreams sweet girl...i am proud of you.
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

What Kim said! :D *hugs*
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thanks ya'll. It was so hard not to take Max. Free... with cage... you name it. But, I respect my family, as they respect me having birds.

However, we have to make sure things around here stays like they are. My man is an **** yes, but he is actually very sensitive to noise. Was even before the birds so I know he isnt complaining just to do it.

It means alot to me that ya'll would take the time to vaildate my decision.

As 'Roseanne' said in an episode, 'Yes DJ, I do curse alot but I practice retraint and God likes that.' :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Mikaela wrote:Thanks ya'll. It was so hard not to take Max. Free... with cage... you name it. But, I respect my family, as they respect me having birds.

However, we have to make sure things around here stays like they are. My man is an **** yes, but he is actually very sensitive to noise. Was even before the birds so I know he isnt complaining just to do it.

It means alot to me that ya'll would take the time to vaildate my decision.

As 'Roseanne' said in an episode, 'Yes DJ, I do curse alot but I practice retraint and God likes that.' :wink:

:lol: I loved to watch Roseanne. That's a classic quote!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Good decision, well made. I know you've been wanting one for a long time. My dream birds may also never come to me; though I can afford them now, while I'm living at home and working part-time, I don't think I'd be able to give them the time and stuff required to keep them happy when I move. For now, it'll just be one ringneck, Hane, and my dog, Geronimo.

True self assessment can really piss one off when you realize you can't/shouldn't do something you REALLY want!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay