I saw my baby today

Moderator: Mods

I saw my baby today

Post by Guest »

Took the trip to the breeders today, and met my little bubba. He is sooooo cute and sweet looking, I just wanted to cuddle him all day. Nearly 6 weeks old today (a few days shy). Reminds me of a partially plucked blue chicken. Breeder told me that he is sampling millet but still gulping down the formula 3-4 times a day (sometimes more). Does that sound like s/he is on track growth wise? They all look so small to me because I have never been around babies that young before, so I don't know what I should be looking for really. I went out to his aviaries and had a look at all his IRN's. I have never seen so many pretty colors, I definitely left there with serious bird envy.
The breeder seems to think that I can bring the bubba home in 4-5 weeks, making s/he just over 11 weeks old. Advice, too young, too old just right age wise?
I also have to see if I can get my hands on some Roudybush (or how ever you spell it) formula for when bubba comes home, just in case he regresses (Miroki my quaker did this for a few days after he came home).
Can anyone in the land of OZ recommend a good on line bird store that stocks Roudybush and good toys?
Oh and I haven't got any pictures to post, I had to take my normal crappy camera with me, I can't for the life of me find my digital camera anywhere. I think there might be gnomes in my house. Evil gnomes.
Ok I have rambled on quite enough.
I will just finish with. The baby is beautiful and I can't wait to bring him home.
Katie

Post by Guest »

erm... that was me who posted that ^ btw. Hmmm I thought I signed in... :oops:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Rule of thumb...never bring home unweaned baby...be sure he is completely and totally weaned...It took Prinny a long time to wean...so I had to wait

Dani

Post by Guest »

I don't intend to Dani, the 4-5 weeks is just a rough estimate of how long s/he weans and thus can come home to me. 11 weeks still sounds like a little baby to me, but rest assured there will be no unweanies here. It was one thing for me to give Miroki a few comfort feeds when he came home, it is a whole other thing to try and raise one. I have no idea about weaning them to start off with so your right there, thats something better left to the professionals.
The breeder did mention the whole bringing home before he fledges thing, but I when I asked, "But he wouldn't be weaned then would he?" he just left it and didn't bring it up again. Everything else sounds ok though doesn't it?
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Ok why does it say I am logged in then post me as a guest? :?
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

It does that to me once in a while too.

Aren't those babies just too cute when they are in that porcupine stage???

Can't wait to see pic's!