New law prohibits hand-rearing of parrots in The Netherlands

Moderator: Mods

Sherjil

New law prohibits hand-rearing of parrots in The Netherlands

Post by Sherjil »

Law is planned to become effective July 2014.

World First
In what appears to be a world first, the Netherlands will forbid the hand rearing of parrots in captivity. The move extends existing legislation that prohibits the separation of infant mammals from their parents (up till certain ages) to include parrots.

When the law comes in affect young parrots must remain with their parents until they are able to feed independently. Failing to comply with this new law can result in 6 month imprisonment or a fine of up to € 20.250 (Category 4)

Emergencies
Separating parent and infant will only be allowed in emergencies where the health and wellbeing of parent or infant is at risk. The burden of proof in these situations however lies with the breeder.

Parental deprivation
These new rules follow a myriad of scientific publications that connect parental deprivation in young parrots and other animals to behavioural problems in later life, like feather picking and other self mutilation, screaming and sexual behaviour directed to people instead of congeners. These traits rank high among the reasons given for abandonment of pet parrots to rescues.

Co-parenting
As with kittens and puppies this law does not prevent all interaction with parrot nestlings. Banding for example and handling for veterinary and other care is allowed. Co-parenting arrangements where young parrots are taken from the nest for short periods of time for interaction or supplemental feeding in order to familiarise them with people are explicitly allowed.

Link : http://cityparrots.org/journal/2014/3/2 ... lands.html
MissK

Re: New law prohibits hand-rearing of parrots in The Netherl

Post by MissK »

The new law, as outlined here, seems quite welcome to me. Perhaps the Netherlands could give the USA a call........
-MissK
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I see the pros and cons for both sides.

The most important thing to do is educate parrot owners before they purchase these little guys. All to often people buy on impulse and it's the bird that suffers.

But I hear ya Miss K! I've seen so many birds damaged due to our irresponsibility. :roll:

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Melika

Post by Melika »

I wonder if this will help in putting the large-scale unscrupulous breeders out of business- the ones that don't spend time with the chicks and just stuff their throats as quickly as possible while trying to make a profit. Similar to puppy mills. The smaller breeders wouldn't be affected as much since they will have the time to put into the babies to easily keep them social. This will also help the parent birds, and help prevent over-breeding them. But it could also make breeding birds a much less lucrative business- which might actually be a good thing with the number of un-wanted birds in existence today (a number which is climbing).

Bird breeding has been largely unregulated. While I would like to see more regulation when it comes to breeding any animal, it carries the risk of chasing off the good breeders if over-regulated- perhaps even some day creating a world where only the most wealthy can afford to have a pet if breeding is too restricted.

Difficult to find a balance, but I like how the Dutch are starting.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Babsi

Post by Babsi »

MissK wrote:The new law, as outlined here, seems quite welcome to me. Perhaps the Netherlands could give the USA a call........
That was bigoted and rude. I am raised in the USA for 6 generations in a meting pot taught to not judge other countries whilst uplifting the traditions of my peoples homeland. As a new member and an eager learner, I am shocked by that generalization.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
Babsi

Re: New law prohibits hand-rearing of parrots in The Netherlands

Post by Babsi »

So, if a captive parrot decides to starve or kill an offspring, you are happy to let it die? Good gawd.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
MissK

Re: New law prohibits hand-rearing of parrots in The Netherlands

Post by MissK »

Babsi, I do not understand your comment.
-MissK