Allow to sit on infertile eggs for how long?

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Allow to sit on infertile eggs for how long?

Post by ellieelectrons »

How long should you allow a hen to sit on infertile eggs before taking them away if you don't want to her to lay more?

Thanks in advance.

Ellie.
AJPeter

Re: Allow to sit on infertile eggs for how long?

Post by AJPeter »

WOW THAT IS THE QUESTION I WANTED TO ASK MY ALEXANDRINE LAID TWO EGGS THREE WEEKS AGO AND SITS ON THEM ALL DAY
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi AJPeter

I saw the message you sent me and that's why I asked the question (for both our benefits).

I should have let you know. I tried to reply to you directly but I had a technical problem and the message never sent.

If noone answers, I read somewhere else that the period of sitting on eggs before they hatch is 20-24 days, so I wouldn't remove them before that period and would wait a little while longer.

In our case, Janey's been sitting on them for just less than a month (I think, I forgot to keep records). So hubby and I are talking about removing the box tomorrow. I kinda wish she'd just give up on them herself... although she is starting to behave less like a broody female and more like her old self. She sat down on her perch in her cage and did her quiet talking to my husband today, and that's the first time she's done that since the nest seeking started.... so it's nice to see that we should get our bird back soon. She's been flying to me more now too and sitting on my hand as opposed to flying to me and biting into my arm!

Ellie.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hi Ellie,

Could we continue in Billie the wonder parrot 2? i have some news to share.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie laid 10 eggs in January she broke 6 and ate the contents the other four one l broke but then she laid two again in October and two in November but by Christmas l was fed up not seeing her l took the eggs away from her they were only dummies. Since then she has been nearly normal is not looking for a nest site.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm glad she's returned to normal. I just went to a webinar by Barbara Heidenreich on hormonal behaviour of parrots and it was really good. I can recommend it. I think she doesn't have another one scheduled but I think that she eventually will if you keep an eye on this page:
http://www.goodbirdinc.com/calendar.html

Or you could email her and she may schedule one for you. They cost $34.95 USD

Ellie.
AJPeter

Billie the Wonder parrot

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks Ellie most intereaction with Billie is a leanring proceedure for both Billie and me I do try other people's ideas but l hate reinforcement programs. Billie and l can read each others emotions and we get along fine.

Thank you for the elean ups.

Peter