breeding indian ringnecks in indoor cage?(well bonded pair)

Moderator: Mods

phil&lil

breeding indian ringnecks in indoor cage?(well bonded pair)

Post by phil&lil »

breeding indian ringnecks in indoor cage please help?
Hello I have bought a bonded pair of blue ringnecks from a local pet shop who had them breeding in a cage in the shop , we have now got them in our bedroom and put a nesbox on the side which is 12inch square and 24inch deep with mesh ladder on the side , in the filled about 6inches up with nesting material like a strandy hair material and wood shavings but they have pulled nearly it all out. Both regularly go into the box and are always with each other preening each other and soft chirping .
Will they breed inside our bedroom? I currently feed and change their water and clean them everday other than that and covering them up at night there is no going in cage or interacting with them at all .
Should I clean the cage less and maybe just do their food every 2 days ?
how can I tell if they is gunna be eggs soon ? Any behavior changes in any of them if theres gunna be eggs in a couple of days or so ?
How long after mating is it before eggs are layed? Or how can I tell if they will be no eggs ?
Anybody bred ringnecks in a indoor cage any useful advice would be greatfull
thanks ..
Wessel Gordon

Re: breeding indian ringnecks in indoor cage?(well bonded pa

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

My advice would be to stick to the usual routine (especially changing the food and water which must be changed at least twice a day - not every two days).

Once they settled in and got used to the routine I'm sure nature will run it's course and you will have eggs whenever it's breeding season where you are.

Don't worry about the female throwing out the nesting material...just make sure there's enough left in the nest for the eggs to rest on. When the female is about to lay eggs she will "remodel" the nest anyway to suit her needs so you will see her popping in and out of the nest more often or more likely just see more nesting material on the floor. If you see that just ignore it and stick to your usual routine so she can settle down and lay eggs (if you disturb her too often she might feel unsettled and you won't get eggs so routine is important).

From what I've read and seen the female seems to lay the eggs 4 or 5 days after mating.

Wessel