How long before disposing of eggs

Moderator: Mods

parebear

How long before disposing of eggs

Post by parebear »

Hi everyone,

My ringneck had her first clutch about 4 weeks ago (since the last egg was laid).
2/3 eggs werent fertile and were removed. The 3rd egg was fertilized however from everything ive read it shouldve hatched by now, so im beginning to wonder whether or not I should remove it for the chance of a second clutch this season. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I hate having to ask :( this was our first ever clutch :( :cry: :cry:
McmillanBirds

Re: How long before disposing of eggs

Post by McmillanBirds »

HI there

Give her until atleast 35 days. Depending on how she was incubating her eggs it may take a little longer to hatch out. I had a restless pair that took atleast a week and a bit longer to hatch out her eggs. Although, if you hear any peeping you may find the shell is too hard and the bub is battling to get out.

My next bit of advice: Don't turf the infertile eggs. They actually help to keep the fertle egg warm and when the baby hatches they are like hot water bottles when mom is out the nest. I only remove infertile eggs about 3 weeks after the babies have hatched.

Best of luck

Carmen
parebear

Re: How long before disposing of eggs

Post by parebear »

I counted the days and yesterday was day 36. I bit the bullet and disposed of the egg. However I cracked the egg carefully before disposing of it and yeah, it had once been fertile, but was still in the embriotic phase and hadnt formed anything of substance...and gone off. Its heartbreaking for our first clutch but I have learned a lot so I know what to do better next time. :cry:

I caught my pair mating again so I suppose theres hope for a second clutch this season.

Thank you again